Free converter that can convert flv or mp4 to DVD?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jan 28, 2015.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Freemake, Format Factory, and Handbrake all require .NET and that's not an option, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any others.

I need to convert to a format I can burn to a disc and play on a DVD player. I tried iWisoft Free Video Converter with DVD output settings and ended up with a .VOB file. But it wouldn't play on a DVD player when burned to a disc. I think I need to find something that outputs to AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, but this is my first attempt so I'm really not sure. All pointers appreciated.

2. guest

guest Guest

What is your DVD player format? PAL? NTSC?

I usually do ripping, not authoring VCDs/DVDs/BDs. But from what I've seen people tend to use MPEG-2 then burn the file into an ISO. It is best to check the result by playing the ISO file with a media player in your computer before burning it to a disc. My guess is, your DVD player format and the configuration you used don't match.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

You didn't state what operating system you are running.
    Take a look at DVD Styler and DVD Flick.
    I've used both; both work in XP; not sure about Windows 7 and newer.
    Both are freeware and neither require .NET
    I haven't used AVStoDVD.
    All three are available for download here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdflick-v2/?source=directory

4. allizomeniz

Thanks both of you for the input. Tried DVDFlick today on XP and it worked on some small files so it looks promising. DVDStyler didn't seem to work as well. Sometimes the DVDs played on my computer but not on TV, other times neither.

We have another computer with Win 7 and I discovered Windows DVD Maker on it so I'll probably be using it. :)

5. allizomeniz

DVDStyler older versions work great. Something isn't right with the newer versions. It creates all the VOB files as NTSC except for one and that screws the whole thing up, at least for playing on a DVD player. I tried 1.8.1 and it doesn't have this problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.