free backup sw that lets you burn images onto optical media?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by guest, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

free backup sw that lets you create burnable (onto dvd) & self-bootable images?

hi,
    is there any free backup software that i can use to create the image of my entire system/partition (system backup) and then i can burn that image onto a bootable dvd media so that i can restore the image without having to use the sw's gui or windows' gui? that i can just put the dvd into drive, boot my system from this dvd which has a bootable image on it, and restore this image to my hdd, like restoring an image to a barebone system or like after formatting the entire hdd, restoring my system from this dvd as if it were the way when the image was created?
    thanks & regards
    edit: it doesn't necessarily have to have a built-in burn feature. i'm looking for a backup sw that lets you create an image which you can burn onto a dvd media using a 3rd party burn sw. and then using this disk only, you can boot your system and restore it w/out having to use an extra bootable disk in order to restore the image on the dvd.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
  2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

While not entirely what you ask for, you can use Macrium Reflect PE to create an image, and a bootable dvd. It does not let you burn the image to the dvd, just makes a dvd restore with ISOLINUX I think. There is also the option for a bartPE plugin. Then you burn the image to a dvd yourself.

But to make things mo' betta, you could do this. Create a bartPE disc that works on your computer (drivers for your stuff etc). Get some generic plugins for browser or defragger etc while you are at it. Then inlcude the macrium plugin. Next, what I did was to create a ram drive option in my boot.ini (this is for xp), and this allows me to boot into bartPE via a ramdisk in about 1 minute. Once in bartPE, I start macrium (because of the plugin) and then navigate to either a dvd or in my case, my secondary hdd. My image is there. Takes about 5 minutes total time to boot into this ramdisk and restore my primary hdd partition to fresh installed state. No dvd to mess with, although I have done that. You can also restore it over a network share if you have one.

I spent a lot of time preparing this method, and truly it is one of the better wastes of time I have spent for such purposes. Now, my image has the boot.ini menu ready to go, so all future image restores leaves me in the same state.

May not directly answer your question, but it is a free method.

Sul.

3. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I wanted to recovery from one of these images this backup software creates. It doesn't come with a recovery CD you have to use BartPE I have WinPE but still not even LinuxCD works right. I know Acronis True Image works the best here though it's not for free.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have had the same thing with the linuxcd. It does not work on my current rig. It does however work on most rigs over 3-4 years old. I wonder if it is an SATA driver problem.

I used to use Norton ghost a lot. It would make a bootable cd/dvd with the image on the disc. It also had issues when SATA came out, so rather than buy a new version I try freeware now.

Sul.

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Everything here runs like a domain nothing gets kept on the none of the systems here. Backup as it old shared folder network drive. Best way to do it. USB images sometimes they work some times they get corrupt. GHOST used that for 11 years, but AB is better. I find most of the time I need to run WinPE I had wrote a nice script to boot from CD using login ID and password for one of my clients. You could join systems to domain an etc..

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Seldom mentioned here, SysAngel's PING has worked well on my vessel.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I use DriveImage XML, which is also found on the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You may not like my answer, but Linux-based Mondo & Mindi does this.
    http://www.mondorescue.org/

Not optimal, but does the job. Still, it's a robust, stable utility.

Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.