Free AVG vs avast! & Memload

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by freeloader, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeloader

freeloader Guest

Could someone tell me how much memory is being used by AVG 6.0 having only the resident scan (control center disabled) at W98 startup? I never thought to check this as I hardly noticed it was running until I dl a bug or worm. I ask now because since I can't seem to get AVG update files anymore I removed it.

I installed avast! 4.1 free after reading the numerous recommendations of the av at this board. However, ashServ.exe uses 15.5 to 18 Mb., ashMaiSv.exe weighed in around 13Mb before I disabled it from starting. This seems excessive. Perhaps part of these cycles are used by the obnoxious "on access scanner msg." that pops up every time I click something.

2. freeloader

freeloader Guest

Re:Free AVG vs avast! & Memload/Update

Update--figured out how to silence "scanner message" (which might even prove to be a feature in some instances). No change though, avast res scan holding at 17.5Mb with ashMaiSv disabled.

I'd still like to know if any AVG user would tell me how much memory the _Res Scan Only_ uses on their W98 machine. Otherwise I suppose I have to uninstall avast, clean drive of litter, and if AVG site is up redownload, reinstall, reregister, reconfigure AVG 6 just so i have this single piece of info to present to avast support forum. (sighs resignedly)

Maybe everyone else dumped their AVG too, since you can't get updates anymore?
    Well, thanx anyway. Good Nite.

3. MeNotYou

MeNotYou Guest

Have you tired to DL the updates manually from AVG's site? There is a "server fix" for the AVG free version but, I will not post how do it (since it is not allowed). I'm sure if you try a google search....you will find it.

4. ganbu

ganbu Guest

I'm running AVG6.0 on win98se and would be happy to tell you how much memory res scan uses...if only I knew how to figure it out. If you post some instructions for me to follow I'll post back with the results.

I've been manually downloading the updates from AVG's site for the past week or so since the update stopped working

5. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I can't remember exactly how much Virtual Memory is used in AVG, but I'm very sure it is much less than Avast...maybe half?
    If you can spare the Memory and want a free AV, stick with Avast Personal.

Regards,
    bill

6. freeloader

freeloader Guest

Hi guys. Thanx for answering.

MeNotYou--I've had to do manual dl before, but for a week or so I just got an empty page at AVG site. I probably should have asked about it before dumping the prog, but I've been reading about avast! being a superior detector with more reliable updates and I perhaps leaped before looking. THX for the fix tip, I'll look around for that in case I need to go back.

ganbu--I have an old version of Norton System Suite, bloatware for sure but free to me and it does have a couple of utilities I find useful, like a superior defrager and a System Information accessory like Windoze SHOULD have. I have seen freewares out there that will show how much RAM is used by each running process, I can't recommend one though, sorry, haven't tried any.

eyespy--I refer to Physical Memory, a premium on my jalopy, and I think you're right, the difference in consumption between the two avs is significant. Add to this that I have to kill rcpss.exe and reconfigure On Access Scanner(thought I fixed that, I was wrong!) every time I reboot, issues I'll probably need to take up with avast! support.

Yea, freebies, it's sometimes tough to choose between one sucky feature and another. ;)

7. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

This is often the true for commercial-ware too. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.