Free AV of the year, what is your favourite/guess?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windows_Security, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allthough this is like comparing apples with peers because paid (suites with firewall etc) are compared with free, stiill shows the options we had in say 2005 being AVAST, AVIRA, AVG (with Avira often the best performing in on demand/static test) when we look at 0day capabilities there are some great newcombers like Bitdefender (free product is weaker as paid) and Fortinet with some potential strong contenders like Ad-Aware, Baidu are going to do.

Panda not in RAP (despite marketing claims Panda does not impress with 0day samples) and Comodo (to many FP's to pass VB100). Qihoo 360 not mentioned because of the privacy accusations. On the other site, despite good results, Forinet does not seem to have much users/supporters on this forum (based on these test three results, it comes second after Bitdefender and just before Avira/Avast). Bitdefender free would problably score lower than Qihoo 360 (has Bitdefender engine plus its own, so free Bitdefender would be just below Qihoo).

So Bitdefender going to win again in 2013 or What is you guess/opinion o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

My vote goes to Fortinet cause it made the greatest progress.

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

The VB RAP test result doesn't have any correlation with a product's ability to protect against 0-day malware.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

True but it also feels like an elephant, very very heavy.

5. The RAP proactive detection shows how an AV deals with small set of fresh samples found in the wild. So this would show how it performs with fresh malware samples found in the wild (strenght of heuristics and generic/family signatures).

The RAP reactive detection shows the response time between first detection in the wild and recognising this fresh sample (after the proactive miss) as malware.

I find it hard to believe that VB100's subset would not be just another 'Gauss graph'. So overtime the findings will become statiscally relevant and show a clear correlation to a product's scanner capability of
    a) strength of heuristics/family signatures (proactive score)
    b) response time (reactive score) to add malware fingerprint to its signature data base

RAP's correlation of product's scanner component to deal with 0day is as clear as can be IMO. Because (I thought) RAP is scanner only detection, I added the real world and protection scores of AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.

Found these http://www.mcafee.com/de/resources/reports/rp-zero-day-malware.pdf Agree with McFee all first findings are not equally evil. A high score on a non-slow replicating threat could mask a bad score on a fast/polymorphic threat. Again over time these difference should also balance out according normal Gauss graphs. @VLK, what definition of 0Day do you use?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  6. zip

zip Registered Member

My choice for free av of year the is Bitdefender Free Edition.

My next is avast!

There are no other av. :D

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Most stable av for me has been avira.

8. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Well, the fundamental problem is that all VB tests (including RAP) are on-demand only. That is, no samples are actually executed during testing -- the only thing tested is whether the on-demand scanner flags the files as infected or not.

This completely ignores the real world where most of the innovation is actually happening in the "protection" space - i.e. in AV components that usually don't get exercised during on-demand scans...

Cheers
    Vlk

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I doubt it can be the AV of the year because of the Ask membership. However as you said it does run well.

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well neither can avast then because of the "google chrome" bundling.

But yes avira is very light.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

If true, that is a major flaw.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.