Free AV for Malwarebytes?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Durad, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You also pay for features and additional protection and configuration options. I guess you can tell that I believe paid is better.;)

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I am not one of these people.

I don't care if it is paid or free one . If it provides enough feautures , then it is OK. For example - I don't like avast! at all (neither version) . For AVIRA - I'd prefer the paid one (Avira Premium) . However for Panda I'd prefer the free Panda Cloud not the paid ones . IMO there is a huge problem in the paid versions how they get info from the Cloud for the on-access/on-execute scanning and Panda Cloud is actually better than Panda's paid versions.
    Symantec also offer a free version (don't ask pls) but I'd prefer the paid one- Norton because of more protection .
    So , it is not if it is paid or free . If the product's quality is OK - that is what matters.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Certainly depends which paid antivirus one is talking about. I believe Computer Associates has a rather expensive av, so does Norman, McAfee and Trend Micro. None of them would go on any computer I own.

It also seems like many paid av's are not all that configurable. Ever try to configure Norton much? What about F-Secure?

Just because a person pays for something doesn't mean there will be much "additional protection" or "configuration options." By additional features, if you mean spam protection, parental control, online backup, etc, etc then that's fine. The additional features such as that are not my cup of tea. And actually there are free options available that are better than feaures offered by paid antivirus programs.

Maybe you could explain what you mean by more features, protection and configuration. Avast 5 free has all that.

4. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I have 2 licenses valid for 1 year for Norton AV.Tried it,don't like it at all.When i'm downloading something,i must wait till norton scan the download and notifies me if is safe or not......brrrrr,that's annoying.And beside that,doesn't play well with my laptop.So...don't worry,i'll never ask you about the free version of Symantec,cause i never use it anyway.:D maybe if they pay me......:thumb:
    Panda AV....hmmm...i have a friend who's pc was devastated by a virus,and he was forced to buy another unit(don't know too much details about,she's in Italy). So,my point is...you have a paid AV and you are screwed anyway...i prefer to have a free one,for the same "feeling".:D :cool:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thank you for mentioning Avast. While I haven't looked at the latest version of the free, It used to lack script protection for example. That may no longer be the case. I' don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.