Free AOL ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I just visited the AOL site and noticed they are now offerring their service free of charge for anyone with their own internet provider. I used to have AOL but had to download their program and dial-up to their service. Is the new free version a lighter package than the old version? Also, a few other issues I would appreciate any feedback on:
    1. is the aol security suite a mandatory download?
    2. does aol slowdown a computer much? (I have a P4, 2.40 GHz, 504 MB of Ram)
    3. does aol make you use their browser or can you use one of your own, like FF2, Opera or IE7?
    4. when I had to use the aol program and dial-up I noticed aol really screwed with my computer. But that was a couple years ago. Is the newer version of aol any better?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    From my observation of AOL practices, I would stay clear.
    Mrk

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

acr1965 :
    AOL has been loosing customers, so they have decided to move from the isp game, AOLUK has already been sold - a deadend business for one that does not own the equipment to your home! More and more customers are just switching to high speed internet from the phone companies. AOL earns by NOT signing up customers - this costs money to do! - yes they have lost customers, but they have gained customers also because of the free offer and expect this to be a trend that will only rise. - this is where they will make money, more people viewing ads and more advertisers attracted to AOL.

in answering 1-5...
    1. - as far as I know you don't have to have it/or, maybe use it, although I can see why people would want say the Parental Controls or take advantage of the free AntiVirus, free online storage - backup, very good Spam Controls.

2. - shouldn't slow that setup down - The new AOL frontend is in a slimmed-down all-in-one window and I haven't read anything of the sort.

3. - I have a complimentry AOL a/c in the UK from ages ago from working with AOLUK that still works which I used to introduce my children to the internet at home. Well I'm NO fan of AOL software but FREE 40x faster than dialup why wouldn't I take advantage! I just use Firefox or IE, I wouldn't use the AOL Browser which was on those machines! Yes use what you want on free, or if your a client.

4. - don't know about the free, but as you know the 'aol program,' usually after an update could cause all sorts of problems

Mrk said :
    I have to agree.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  4. acr1965

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll steer clear. I used to like aol so much because I really liked the home page. Now I use yahoo as my homepage. It's ok, nothing great.

I have thought about msn.com but hate that whole "net passport" idea.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

It's actually not available for free accounts.
    I'm pleased with the free email, though. It's one of the few email services that supports IMAP.

6. acr1965

Maybe I am missing something? But I was sure the aol site said free AV, FW and AS goes with the free aol if you have your own ISP.

Here is the link, play the "take the tour" and see what you think.

http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp?d1=5&ncid=AOLAOF00020000000015

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I downloaded the free security suite and all I had to do was have an AOL email and it is free.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

AOL is offering some free programs and services. Note that you do NOT get free internet access service. I think it is an attempt to regain some foothold in the computing industry that they have lost over the years. Some of the free programs are borrowed versions of other companies (such as McAfee and Kaspersky). Given the EULA of using some of the programs and the corporate history I personally would think twice before using their software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.