Free Antivirus without Nag Screen

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ohblu, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

They come bundled with blipverts that pursuade you to dine out at Chinese restaurants every night of the week.

I lost 30pds after uninstalling 360.

I hope the Irish dont employ a similar tactic or I`d never make into work.

Seriously though I suspect Quihoo is a big corporation so maybe it`s just really good PR for them ?

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

setting the registry entry splash to 0 works every time

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I often fix computers for people (a part time job) and obviously I always want to install an AV for them, since now I can no longer install the following, I found that 360 Internet Security is the only decent free solution with no nags, no ads, no facebook likes, etc.

Am I correct in this or is there any other good AV I've missed?

I don't want to compare them, just want to know what are my options if you know what I mean.

So far..

Avira AV = has that unwanted Essentials thingie
    Avast = looks like a cartoony scam app with lots of nags to upgrade
    Avira = Link to upgrade to pro at the bottom which I don't want my client accidentally clicking, facebook like button, etc
    Panda Cloud AV = requires registration, not as easy to install as it was a few months back

I loved how 360 IS just installed so quickly, has good detection rates as I've seen on AV comparatives and is light.

Anything else I might consider to keep in my software library?

I see people recommending BAIDU AV sometimes, I thought that anything from BAIDU is spyware like their BAIDU PC Cleaner which I find on moswt of my clients' computer installed by mistake and taking over the computer

4. guest

guest Guest

As PaulBB said:

- MSE (get ready to see people beating it up yet again hurrah!)
    - BitDefender Free (a broken high-school project in a nutshell)
    - Fortinet FortiClient (never tried it myself but I've seen people were pleased by it here)

then also...

- Avast! (if they still allow the popups to be disabled)

I won't touch Chinese AVs due to my antagonistic relationship with China's government and companies but it's up to you if you want to give them a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  5. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Qihoo 360 IS or TS no ads, and lately haven't seen any nags from AVG and Panda free (you can swith off panda news in settings)

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I too fix laptops in my spare time. I tried before installing on 1 laptop Fortinet or FortiClient & was pleased. Since then I tried to install it on 6 or more laptops (different hardware) either the install would not complete or it would disappear after installing even after a reboot.

Tried downloading different Forti___? exe but all were fubared in one or the other above ways.

Was I not installing the correct installer? If so could someone link me up to an installer that WORKS for them. No random links even Forti___ website that are not proven installs. I have wasted a ton of time downloading different Forti___ installers. So just files that you KNOW work please.

7. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Does Panda actually require creating an account, or does it just ask you to make one when you open the GUI?

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It may nag you about it a few times, but it doesn't force you to...

9. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

panda (not the cloud) antivirus pro nagging is awful. It constantly pops up giving you a statistic and how many days of your license is left.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow... that would be enough to make me stop using it.

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I am using Panda Free and haven't got a popup yet (This is with signing up to disable Panda News).

12. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Any AV which requires signing up or logging in gets thrown out the window for me

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! does, but you only have to enter e-mail to register, so no remembering of passwords and so on. I admit it's a bit annoying for casual "clueless" users, but it's still a lesser evil that i can live with.

14. 59er

59er Registered Member

I switched from MSE to Avast free 6 months ago and its been a good experience. Favorite feature: Silent/gaming mode = no pop ups for info/products/definition updates. Even with it turned off, the info pop ups were harmless and few and far between. I originally set the duration to 1 second, but that annoyed my curiosity instinct, so I set it to 4 seconds. With Silent/gaming mode enabled it is truly set and forget.

15. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Therefore my favourite free AV are Panda, AVG and MSE. :thumb:

16. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Panda now requires you to sign up, AVG has a big upgrade to PRO at the bottom of its main window and a Facebook like button, MSE is not an antivirus

17. ance

I have installed Panda Antivirus Free without sign up, AVG doesn't require registration as well and MSE is more than enough for me. No malware, no problems, no registrations, no renewals, I like it. :thumb:

18. fax

fax Registered Member

But AVG and MSE protection is by far weaker as compared to Panda as well as other free solutions.
    So, your privacy is respected but your security (the reasons why you install an antivirus) is not. So, what's the point of installing a weak solutions in the first place?? o_O

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's not go there. This thread is about nags.

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The strength of the security solution can only be assessed correctly if the user browsing habits are taken into account..

21. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

not the free version or the cloud version. I am talking about panda antivirus pro (got a 6 months license) a while ago as a giveaway and man it sucks with that popups of how it has been doing and how many dayd left of sub. Also panda sometimes get stuck in a loop during malware clean up reboot. No matter how many times I rebooted it, it still had the message that a reboot is required to finish removing infection. So I uninstalled it.

If you want panda then my suggestion is go with the panda cloud. Although the antivirus pro and IS is more solid then the cloud and protects better (great hips or behavior blocker). Panda cloud does not have that. But the nagging and occuasional bugs made it not worth it to me.

22. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Avetix has no nags and it's a good AV, using Bitdefender engine.

23. ance

Bitdefender engine doesn't mean Bitdefender detection. Look at Ad-Aware, it has Bitdefender engine but it's poor in all tests. I bet Avetix isn't better, I would rather install MSE instead. ;)

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Avetix - when set to "light" has much less system impact than Bitdefender or MSE in my experience. I haven't tried it with the medium or full settings so can't comment on those, as lightness is much more important to me than detection rates.

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Just tried installing Avetix on a client's computer. it requires a valid email address, has this PC tuneup feature and the interface is way too busy for my liking. The initial update of 168 MB is going very slow downloading at like 20 KB/s on my 10 MBPS connection.

Avetix is out of my books.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.