Free Antivirus with easiest update?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Re: Fee Antivirus with easiest update?

I wasn't talking about update quantity; I said the update mechanism itself is better, or atleast that's what I was trying to say. ;)

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think, it,s enough. So many people have almost made me convinced that Avast updates are best in fee AVs. Thanks all of you. I am going to use it.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Latest McAfee updates nicely in background with no problems, it,s my favourite AV, also captures lot of spywares as well, I think most effective against spywares and trojans of all dedicated AVs.

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Antivir now updates for me,trouble free.Avg also did when i tried it years ago.

5. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

A 'Clean Install' of AntiVir Version 7 is doing a nice job for me on its Auto-UpDate,
    (since uninstalling Version 6 that quit updates except by "UnZip & Paste" 31 January).

Its default Scheduler is Activated on the "once a day" default and I have noticed that if Console is open,
    it does not check if done earlier that day.:-*

Otherwise, as soon as I establish a dial-up connection, a tiny (expandable) box appears in upper right hand corner, (over my [Start] button)
    connects, checks and last time it was just a :20 second download/install of just VDF-3.:)

Would expect that after H&BEDV's AntiVir Free Servers get back to normal, that you will be able to specify the recommended
    "Six Hour" Schedule or whatever keeps you comfortable. They still seem tb be overloaded at times with (7) issues and those 'Nag-Screens' to load.:rolleyes:

No experience with Avast or AVG, Norton and EZ-Trust are completely in the background on their updates.
    (but they are not quite "Free"):D

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You will never see that happen. They appear to be blocking regions during certain hours of the day. It has been that way for a long time even with version 6. So there is no way one can do the update every 'x' hours. You'll have to settle for once a day.

7. pilotart

I did not even know it was possible to block regions during certain hours.o_O

Guess I am lucky to be in a region that they are not blocking.:D

I only began with AntiVir on 16 Jan and it worked very well until 1 Feb and then
    the "Block" was that updates that you could watch download, would never install.

It began with a Version 7 download that I Blocked and then progressed to updating my
    Version 6's UnInstaller but I Never allowed it to attempt an Automatic Install,
    due to all the problems reported and chose to clean and do a manual install of 7.:thumb:

The third Automatic update for today, was 23:09GMT 2 files totaling 2,419,240 in under two minutes,
    a little less than 9 hours ago it was 25KB in 20 seconds, plenty to keep me loyal.:rolleyes:

No doubt, with all the problems that others have reported,
    my advice would also be to avoid AntiVir, for the near future.

Unless you really feel you need a free AV with the best detection right-now,
    you would be better to stick with what you have, for the moment.

Just Like, Microsoft may release a new Operating System late this year,
    my advice would be to hold-off for six more months before you buy it.:isay:

Since the point of this thread is about "ease of update" I can say that
    AntiVir is easier now with new version than version six,
    which had been strictly manual, for the free version.

For the other top free versions that I considered, AVG was tops in "Fuget-a-bout-it"
    ease of use but #3 in detection score.

Avast was reported to have superior protection (#2) but the most to "learn"
    for setup and use. I will follow the crowd and vote for a new user to
    start with Avast.:thumb:

Along with a good (free) Firewall (like ZoneAlarm) and Three good AntiSpy's
    (like Spyware Blaster, AvBot S&D and AdAware) all free, user should have
    no problem related to low detection scores.:eek:

To be sure, after a time period, run a Kasperski Free OnLine Scan and then
    see if you think you might need to 'up-the-detection' score:D

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To be fair, I have to say that I am only speculating that's the case based on my experience with AntiVir. I am in the U.S., Pacific region, California to be precise. I used version 6 for quite some time last year and have used version 7 for several weeks since it came out. I have NEVER been able to update AntiVir's defs from approximately midnight my time till noon the next day. That's a 12 hour window when all I get here is AntiVir sitting there trying to connect for a half hour or more until I give up. If I run the update from noon my time to midnight, I can get thru instantly. So my conclusion is: they are blocking during certain hours. What else can it be? This occurred with version 6 all the time, so please no excuses that the servers are overloaded due to version 7 traffic and program updates. Nonsense.

Anyway, as I say, that is MY experience with AntiVir. I really don't know if my theory is true or not. I cannot prove anything. And apparently others can update any time during the 24 hour period(?). At any rate, it's no good for me. I can never schedule updates say every 4 hours or so. Just won't work here.

And sure, it's possible to block traffic from any 'region' during any hours any time you like. People do it all the time in business to keep unwanted traffic out of their servers for various reasons..

At any rate, if you get better mileage with AntiVir then by all means, use it. I have decided to move on to other things myself..

9. pilotart

Time is the key, H&BEDV's servers are located in Germany, which is GMT+one hour,
    or US Pacific Standard Time plus nine hours, so Midnight to next day's Noon would be Nine AM to Nine PM in Germany.

I HAVE noticed that lately it has sometimes taken a few minutes to establish connection with Server,
    during Nine to Four PM German Time.

It would stand-to-reason that for the past month or so, that they would be doing more service to their servers during
    weekday working hours, with all those 11MB Bombs to serve.:eek:

But would expect that with customers WorldWide, that
    the load should even out some and assuming that they
    added server capacity (as they said) then would expect
    following delivery of most of the 7's and all the mad users
    jumping to AVG, server access should improve.

http://www.files.bz/files/3227/AntiVir%20Updater.jpg
    This is what I usually see for a few seconds on establishing connection
    unless AntiVir Console is open and up-to-date.

Looking for H&BEDV to add a slight mod to the program to send the
    "Already Up-To-Date" signal from the TaskBar and eliminate a lot of
    un-necessary server connections. I like to watch the new "Guard" at
    work, but most users don't have the console open all the time:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Being the tinkerer that I am, I will no doubt give it another try some day, but for now it's on to trial some of the others.. thanks for your input pilotart...

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well Alwil is located basically in the same timezone as germany and they don't have such problems. So timezpne location doesn't play as big role as many think...

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I have tried at least a half dozen other AVs and have never had one problem with ANY of the others. Just AntiVir. Avast has always updated flawlessly..

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

On-thread- BitDefender-free does its updates fast as greased lightning, & smooth as a baby's posterior. Of course, it's on-demand only-- I mean BD (not the posterior).

Off-thread- No offense, but (IMHO) selecting an AV based primarily on ease of update is sorta like selecting a doctor based on the sweetness of his receptionist. Further deponent sayeth not. :blink:

14. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:blink: Ah but if the receptionist is sweet and good looking, there is a good chance the doctor's business may very well pick up. Now on the other hand?

Thanks
    Wildman

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the way i look at it, updating ur definitions is necessary for proper protection so the least companies can do is make it easy and fast for people to do.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, very true. If you're in the business of providing updates then things ought to work smoothly..

17. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Efficiency update mechanism is *very necessary* if you manage antivirus solution in a large corporate network (extra automatic, smallest/fastest/easiest as possible), in my opinion, any antivirus software can guarantee reliable protection only if it is updated timely, as soon as possible when a signature released.

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you are restricted to dial-up, then the effectiveness of the update procedure becomes more crucial, particularly Server availability, size of updates and incremental updating.

So for me, AntiVir Classic, despite its high detection rate and negligible effect on system performance, would not be a suitable candidate for any of my computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.