Free android antiviruses with real-time scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Are you using the pre-release version of Theft Aware 2.0, or has it been released? The install/uninstall of TA sounded quite intimidating. Can you remove it?

3. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

It's the best deal for about $10 and have a life time license.:D

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I thought the same but it is pretty easy and they have good support from my experience

I am using a normal v2 release from the website ... on a rooted 2.2 device. It can be removed you just have to know what it is installed as, know the password, and remove it from the device admin list under settings.

It is like fsecure but better ....

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  5. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

The reviews for Kaspersky Mobile Security on the market are not that great, sounds like it needs more time to mature. Maybe wait for CF2. ;)

6. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Kaspersky Mobile Security works fine here.
    I didn't have any problem even when I started testing the beta version.
    Now I'm using CF1 version.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I read most of those reviews. I'm not experiencing any of the bad behavior that some people mentioned. One serious issue though is there's no way to protect the program from being uninstalled. This renders the anti-theft features worthless. I know that Theft Aware 2.0 addresses this problem. Do any of the other mobile security "suites" that combine AV with Anti-Theft features have uninstall protection? For the moment I have my phone set to boot locked and to auto-lock after 15 minutes, but I don't know if that represents a real obstacle to someone getting into it if the phone were stolen.

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Im gonna go back and give Eset a try. Had some issues but had heuristics enabled. Gonna disable that it give it another go.

I had Lookout for awhile but for the most part, don't use any AV software on my Droid X.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The ESET beta has uninstall protection, which seems necessary. Any idea what it will cost when it comes out of beta?

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

AFAIK Not yet. I think we need to wait until the BETA is over.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks. I just installed the ESET beta and so far it's working fine.

Edit: Is there a way to add a shortcut to one of the home screens HTC Sense)?

12. Trooper

Yeah no information on price yet. Im tempted to try the free Webroot for now to see how it goes.

For a shortcut, you should be able to just long press on the Eset Icon from your app drawer and voila. :)

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, thanks for the tip. The Sense UI is brand new for me - still finding my way around.

I had the free Webroot product installed for a while and it seemed to work fine. If you expect one of these products to provide anti-theft protection though it needs to have uninstall protection. If it doesn't then it will simply be uninstalled by the bad guys.

14. Trooper

Totally agree with you here. I've not found anything to date that does that. If you want remote wipe, find, and locate then I recommend Seek Droid. You can hide the icon in the app drawer but its still visible in the Android Market. Its the closest thing I've found to what we are both looking for. This app does not provide av protection however.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Theft Aware 2.0 is the only app I've found so far that provides all the anti-theft options and also makes a serious attempt to protect itself. There is a trial available in the Android Market that I'm going to try out. It's a $$ app, but only $15 US for lifetime.

www.theftaware.com

If you check it out let me know what you think.

16. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

I'm using Lookout.. It's working very well on my EVO

17. Trooper

I used to use Lookout as well. Trying Webroot now. Had some problems with Eset but may go back to that as well. My phone is rooted and I'm always flashing new ROM's etc so I don't keep any specific av for android for too long.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What issues did you have with ESET?

19. Trooper

When downloading any files via the web browser, apk, pdf, etc, the whole screen (especially the notification bar) would shake and/or bounce uncontrollably.

20. Trooper

FYI I'm trying out the Norton Mobile Security now.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm interested in what you think about NMS. How does its' features compare with other Mobile Security products you've tried?

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm trying out Seek Droid at the moment - you can't beat the price :) - and I'm using Dr Web AV along with it (free Big Heart offer). The two make a good combo since there's no feature overlap.

23. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Dr.web's quick scan is verrrrrrrryyyyy slowwwwwwww

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So it's slow as always, even on Android.

25. Trooper

So far its not too bad. It does not seem to alert you that its scanning apps though which is weird. I like that feature in Lookout. Will give it a go for a few weeks but may go to another product. Hopefully Eset if they get some of the kinks worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.