Free android antiviruses with real-time scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I think NetQin Security 5.2 is the best in terms of detections and features it offers in the free version. I like it and use it.

3. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I poked at the Webroot app. It has a service that is set to auto-restart and though you can kill the UI portion of the app, the service should not stay dead. I was only able to find the UI part on the Samsung Task Manager on this Galaxy Tab, and killing it had no effect on the notification bar icon when I turned that on for testing. So I don't think it's really staying dead.

At the same time, there are a lot of limitation for Android apps. Heck, I've even seen some Android security that went Admin mode and tried to block you from uninstalling it, but I was able to circumvent all its protection against uninstallation with about thirty seconds of fast-fingering the phone. So I think its' really an uphill battle for Android security stuff.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It would be interesting to hear more about this. The main problem I see with most Android security apps is how easily they are uninstalled. Many do not even register as an administrator, which at least requires an extra step to disable. I'm currently using F-Secure Free for lost/stolen phone support. It makes itself an administrator and sets a security code on application management, so it's not so easy to disable. The best thing out there is Theft Aware which is almost completely hidden after installation, but it's only for tracking lost or stolen phones, not for malware protection. I feel most vendors are really not taking android security very seriously yet.

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thast why i am waiting for avast , they acquired theftaware , they are gonna have root support ..

6. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Ok, so after testing out my first AM scanner for Android, I'm actually impressed by BluePoint Security...

7. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

@ Techfox1976 I am using SG2 and in my case the app gets completely disabled and the even the icon disappears from the notification area.

@ Victek I completely agree with you Theft Aware is the best product out there.

Cheers!
    Ziaul

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

for bluepoint u need net all the time right ?

9. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Yes, you are absolutely right because it uses cloud av.

Regards,
    Ziaul

10. Techfox1976

I think the biggest problem with all Android security is the basic precept. :\ If I get your device and know what I'm doing, -no- security program will stop me. Period. So are you going to be more careful if you think that something will protect you (though it won't) or will you be more careful if you know that you need to set a lock screen as the best way to prevent uninstallation, and the best security your phone can get at all (not counting Antivirus portions) is being in your possession? When it leaves your possession, the game is over if the person who has it knows what they're doing.

I guess technically this thread is about Antivirus for Android, rather than recovery or locking, so the whole thing may be a moot point anyway. But on the physical security standpoint, do any of the apps have Bluetooth Leash capability?

11. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

I don't have any use for any AV software on my phone. I only use it for sms and call filtering, anti-theft and privacy protection.

Ziaul

12. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

What has NetQin been like for you as far as battery consumption goes? I tried it for a few days, but it was eating up battery.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed that once the phone is taken the chances of recovery are very small. I think the best to hope for is to maintain enough control to remotely wipe the personal data. Auto-locking the screen is essential because otherwise there's going to be a big window between when the phone is taken and when you realize it and send a remote-lock command. If you can sufficiently frustrate access to the phone the person may just leave it somewhere and then you can find it via the remote location feature that all these apps have, but who knows. As you say it's far more effective to train oneself to keep track of the phone instead of relying on anti-theft software.

What is BT Leash capability?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I'm not totally sure, but it says Cloud AV + Whitelisting. I guess when there's no internet the whitelist kicks in. There's no much info about this on their site, but I'm gonna ask.

15. Techfox1976

A bluetooth leash is usually a bluetooth device itself, but can be on the phone too. When it's an app, you define a bluetooth device, like a headset, that you want to leash to. If the BT device disconnects from the phone unexpectedly (goes out of range, for example), the phone locks and makes a fuss.

I don't know if the phone can know the difference between turning off and out of range, but if it can, you can turn off the bluetooth thing without making the phone react, otherwise you'd need to put in a password before turning off the bluetooth thing. But if you leave the phone on a bar or somebody slips it from your pocket or purse, the phone starts to panic when you and your headset are far enough away to kill the bluetooth connection.

16. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Nice concept! By the way is there any such app available?

Thanks,
    Ziaul

17. Techfox1976

I haven't found any except for the BT devices themselves. I hope it isn't patented or something stupid. :(

18. pykko

pykko Registered Member

In most of the times there is under 1% battery consumption.
    Very light here.

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

New version of BitDefender out; beta finished and you now receive a 3 month trial; https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitdefender.security&feature=search_result

20. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I want free not trials. Rasberries to paid AVs on Androids.

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No, sorry.

23. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

No problem. :)

Thanks,
    Ziaul

24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

You gonna try it out?! :D

25. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Yeah Lol! :D

Ziaul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.