Frederic, you may be interested in this...

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

2. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi all!
    That forum is coming along nicely. (still in the makings).. They have put a lot of effort into helping/supporting others with problems and issues with most all firewalls and other security products! All good stuff... LNS is a very good firewall and deserves input and expansion from all users and (the creator Frederic) alike... I know you are a busy man Frederic, but if you can make it over there (or here) to tell us your input we would all be grateful for it...

Take Care
    Jazzie

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

That is just a point of view that Phant0m`` has been trying to make. Aside from that you are more then welcome over and spice things up about LNS.

If BlogIT! was intended for people to be able to vent freely about frustration they might have. Of course the content musn't be to crude or hatefull.

regards,
    Fluxgfx

5. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Glad to see you have made it over to the other forum Frederic. While some of what Phant0m say's is pretty strong stuff, I believe he is only trying to motivate (albeit in a distinctive way) you to improve LnS. It can be seen he still thinks a lot of LnS from effort he has made in providing support for LnS, and also his infamous rules.

Don't take it too personally, but instead use the (mostly) contructive criticism to improve the already great product that is LnS.

The release of LnS 2.05p2 is a welcome step, and I look forward to seeing some of the suggestions implemented in future versions. Maybe a Sticky Suggestions thread for LnS may be in order.

Vive la LnS!

6. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

In defense of Frederic I think he does a VERY good job in maintaining LnS and tech support. Considering he does it solely by himself a majority of times :eek: . When I had sent him a question by email or by private message he always replied quickly with assistance. I do notice that there are some threads that are going unanswered here at this forum or not receiving a high quality of feedback, but I do not think that is solely Frederic's fault. Being a rather small user base of LnS users (also divided between english and french users) there is many times far less users who will be helping each other out (like you might see with more popular programs). Also certain complexities of LnS like rule creation for specific programs might require someone with more experience in not only rule creation but the specific program involved as well. The help file and some examples on the LnS website might help as well. As for other issues, like bugs or feature requests, I think Frederic does read them and take them into consideration, though he might not openly say so in the thread. If a large enough bug is being experienced by a lot of users Frederic usually jumps in with some investigating. I think that is how it works with some of the other developers here at wilders as well. Like many things I think Frederic's job requires a lot of prioritizing, which I personally think he does a good job in. I am also glad to see gkweb participating and helping Frederic. As I know he is also very knowledgeable :)

In Phant0m's defense I think he did a tremendous job of support here at the LnS forum when he was actively participating. I have rarely ever seen anyone who would go through the trouble he did in trying to recreate and relate with other peoples issues. People who he did not know. Just people who were having problems with a product he was dedicated to. He did not ask of anything in return either. I have asked Phant0m questions myself and he was always good at responding. His new rule-set works great as well! I think there are some who think poorly of him now with some of his more recent posts. But like Defenestration said, if you look at the intentions of Phant0m you will see a different side.

Frederic and Phant0m you made such a good team :'(

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey

When Frederic does participate, normally he does do a very good job.
    However, one problem is the lack of Official support on the forums for instance, and been this way for some time. I understand why people be purposely ignorant to this, but I’ve actually been living on this English Look ‘n’ Stop forum from the very beginning therefore I’m more acceptable to notice than most. But hey don’t be so quick to jump to call me a liar, this Forum has posts dating way back that haven’t even gotten a response to.

As for E-mail support, there are quite a few who gets pleasing support. However, there is great number of those who didn’t get pleasing support, and I can understand how one can be ignorant since they aren’t in my shoes, if you were you would be in constant contact (even at this time) with current Look ‘n’ Stop Customers and past users of Look ‘n’ Stop.

There is no excuse, from what I gathered there are others in Soft4Ever team such as JF member who rarely participates on the forums and when he/she does, it isn’t to provide answers to questions, it is to bring few announcements. Hey…. this may be a belief of mine alone, but when it comes to security software, if you aren’t capable of visiting and supporting on the Official forums on a regular bases then software developers should hire someone that can, and to try to “manage” otherwise is self-centered.

As far as “infamous rules” goes, for one to say that has to be obviously ignorant to the ways of TCP/IP, software security and understanding of Software Firewalls. And while EnhancedRulesSet.rls is efficient, it design to function for ALL, and you know by now function for ALL would require less specifications which means less security. And even though using that rule-set there would pass many online web-scans, you are forgetting there far superior scanning technology which none of these online web-scans comes close to having, and beyond that, horrifying threats which yet to be demonstrated by a web-server. I don’t appreciate ignorant user to this area insulting something which he/she doesn’t have an understanding of.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.