"Framed" by Spyware?

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by stainless, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stainless

stainless Registered Member

Someone I know recently got fired for "excessive" internet usage. He says that the amount of usage they tracked for him was something extraordinarily huge, like 600 web sites an hour. Could all these hits actually be from spyware and not things he was consciously looking at?

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

it's very possible, it all depends on how they define a wbsite visit to get 600 visits an hour

If I visit certain websites with lot of adverts I have visited 1 site, the connection records will show connections to all the other sites taht host the adverts, counters, trackers and other assorted rubbish and could be listed as 20/30 or even as high as 100 separate sites

I couldn't and wouldn't say whether his usage was excessive, it all depends on the conditions of his employment and whether any internet access is allowed or whether he has been visiting sites inapropriate for a work useage.

Some companies forbid any access except on work matters and if he was doing other surfing then he has broken the rules.

But to answer the question in one word answers, yes spyware could account for a lot of supposed website hits, but to determine whether spyware or other malware was the cause, some one knowledgeable would have to go through the server logs and see which sites and ID known sites that are malware linked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.