Fragmented Backup File

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wb2002, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wb2002

wb2002 Registered Member

This has probably been asked before but can someone simply explain why after backing up my boot drive to another drive is fragmented? O&O Defrag and Windows Defrag utility shows this. I now have on that drive an 85.6g backup file (*.tib). It also took a little more than 3 hours to do that using Reatogo boot disk I made in order to use Acronis TI otherwise when trying to backup with the Acronis bootable disk it would take 3 days.

wb2002

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The backup drive will appear fragmented because the image is not made file by file. So don't bother to defrag your backup archives, it will not make anything better and at least one other user found that the backup would then no longer validate. This could have been a coincidence......

Xpilot

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I did not answer the second part of your question.
    I assume you are backing up to an external drive,possibly USB. Next time try running the image while booted in Windows. You should find it will run as fast as or even faster than from the Reatago CD.
    Restores are a different matter and will almost certainly be fastest using the Reatogo CD.

Xpilot

4. wb2002

wb2002 Registered Member

Thanks..
    No, the drive I was backing to is an internal drive on a raid controller (non-raid config.) I have to use either Reatogo or PE Builder because Acronis has never worked for me even after each new version. I suppose I'm one of the few who are paying for Acronis research and development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.