Fprot v4 coming soon

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mrhero, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

A reliable bird whispers me Fprot v4 coming soon. Most of you know this bird. :D :D o_O

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Any idea what value of soon applies here? Ready for Easter perhaps? Or Christmas? Or somewhere in between? ;)

3. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Maybe that bird comes here and tell us stg about this.:doubt: :doubt:

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's known for some time. Unofficially of course. Few months to go, maybe even less if there will be nice weather over greenland :D
    You'll certanly know when it's ready:D

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Not much info can be found so far for F-PROT 4 and NOD32 3.0. It is really a long wait...:'(

6. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

ROFL :D :D :D

7. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

Frisk told me that F-Prot 4 would be out soon, but that was almost 2 years ago and still nothing !!! In the meantime F-Prot is being left in the dust of other AV. While I liked F-Prot i'm not going to bother with a company that is relying on past glory and not responding to market forces and new pests. Maybe they'll wake up when customers don't bother renewing licences in enough quantities. Thank goodness that Kaspersky is almost out of RC and the final which is due out next month will be leaner and meet today's needs

8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I have been hearing this............ since................ Start of 2004o_O??

Looking at AntiVir and KAV06 's Resources / Performance i dont see where Fprot 4 fits in.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Heuristics:D

10. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

My "source" is reliable than Frisk's support( I wish :D :D ).I can't make public my source:gack: :gack: . But you can find easily :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A clue: Just look "locations"

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I've been hearing this for two years also. I am very interested but if F-Prot goes to a suite only, I will be very unhappy. I can't find a decent AV now that isn't bloated and/or a suite that tells me I can't use the other security products I like with it. Bit Defender forcing me to remove my favorite anti-spyware products and now F-Secure forcing the same! I don't want a suite. I don't even want email scanning. I have to put up with Symantec corporate used by my ISP stripping my OUTbound emails of innocent attachments (and not bothering to even let me know this). I sure don't need an AV that wants to also scan my fragile outlook express mail (the database is too delicate in OE to withstand any AV scanning other than what the user should be doing ...download to disk and command line scan of attachments and read all mail in plain text). Sigh. I am again looking for an AV...just a plain old fashioned AV that has an excellent real time scanner but doesn't attempt to intercept web pages before I see them, doesn't have a zillion added junk to it...just a plain, "old fashioned" scanner that works! Where do I find one of those? Go back to NAV 2001? :p

12. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Hey guys, it's all about marketing, really. Your average computer user (read: just about everyone except security geeks who hang out at Wilders) considers an AV as a utility, like a toilet. How many people know, or even care, what brand of toilet they have? I have an American Standard, it's a 'plebe' model. So who cares? AVs ain't like sportscars, like something you brag about to impress chicks... ah, unless they are Wilders chicks, that is. :D

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mele20

Take a look at KAV 6.0 First if all you want is what you described then do a custom install and just select the File AV and you will have exactly what you want. On the other hand there new Proactive Defense Module which is included probably gives you 95% of what Process Guard gives you without the fun you've been experiencing.

Pete

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I beta tested KIS 2006. :D I stopped though early this year when I saw that my internet speed was trashed by more than ONE-HALF what I should be getting. As soon as I uninstalled KIS 2006, I had my speed back. It is possible that has been fixed in one the later betas but I have doubts. I didn't test KAV 2006 which isn't a suite and would be more to my liking unless there is still the speed issue. I had planned to test a release candidate but was too late. I did like the Pro Active Defense module. When it is released to the public, maybe I will try it...but I hear that isn't until May sometime. Maybe the speed problem is corrected.

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Go back to F-Prot 3 again. I have also returned to this AV after problems with previous versions.

If you are a low-risk surfer this is an excellent choice. I am running it again as a primary scanner together with BOClean. The present version is very stable and its RealTime Protector is only taking up 680K VM, so I don't even notice it's there. Further, as you know, if you have multiple machines the Home license is unbeatable.

Like all AV's it has its weaknesses but with HB/IC on board its heuristics and unpacking engine should improve considerably.

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Instead of rehashing what you have said a million times before, why not simply install it like Peter 2150 suggested and install just the Kav 6.0 AV version and deselect webscan & mailscan (since you do not like these options) using the custom install option, you can still download the technical release (6.0.0.299) + codes here which are good untill 05-17-06 (the official release is the 15th). :)

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes, marketing and actual performance. Give AVG to some high risk user and it will be like you did nothing. Sure AVG is popular but far from superiority of KAV even though lots of people don't even know about it.
    It's like chat in some other thread where we turned into cars stuff.
    People were buying VW-Volkswagen (Norton/McAfee/Trend Micro) just because it was known to be good and everyone have it.
    But those people often got enlighted when you showed them Hyundai (KAV/NOD32/BitDefender etc) which offers much more accessories, better engine and longer warranty for same or lower price. Sure VW was ok till they realised there are also cars with better perfromance/price ratio even though they aren't advertised as much as VW.

Toilet is not really an appropriate object for comparison, though you still have high end, ultra shining toilets with decorated cover and turbo cyclone flushing system that certanly pop out of regular competition :p

18. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I find AVG Pro a very neat and fast AV scanner and I suggest you try it just once! You'll be surprised........it finds quite some stuff! Maybe not the best, but it sure as hell works better than most people think!

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I tried and it failed misserably to impress me...:ouch:

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOL @ comparision AV's with toilets, the first anal AV scanners with flushing heuristics.

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is what I did earlier tonight before I saw your post. But I don't recall what my beta key was so I can't activate it. I guess I could check "trial"? But why is there a trial on a beta product?

22. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Where did it fail? Just curious......I have a strong feeling, that it failed you even before trying it, as a lot of posters here always kick certain AV scanners at forehand!

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Does that really exist, a trial on a beta product? That's funny. I guess the word "beta" has no meaning at all anymore.
    Betas for everyone. :)

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have tried several versions of AVG and it failed to impress me every time.

25. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

In the long run you will lose money with Hyundai. Hyundai resale value is terrible comparing to some other makes here in the USA. Depreciation will hit you and your pocket. On the other hand, you will be surprise how much money you could save when you buy F-prot and use it on 5 computers in your household. I can’t see any depreciation here. Sure some of you will argue about using a free av. But when it comes to commercial av, F-Prot is hard to beat. It’s a barebones av and I like it.

BTW last time I checked Pc-cillin comes with more feature then either NOD32, KAV or Bitdefender. I also believe McAfee and Norton are comparable to NOD32, KAV and BD in terms of features and prefomance.

tD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.