Fport.exe & TCPvcon.exe help

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hjbyram, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I downloaded Fport.exe & also TCPView.exe/TCPVcon.exe.

However, the only one I can get to work is TCPView, which gave me a nice report. I am trying to identify some ports showing up in my firewall log, & thought these tools would help.

I apparently have to do something I am not doing - I thought I could just execute the .exe software from the downloaded, unzipped folder? I see something flash by, but it's gone & I don't get a report.

Any help in how to execute these would be appreciated - new user to all of this & also not very experienced obviously.

THANKS

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In regards to fport....there are a number of ways to accomplish this but I'll list my preferred method.

1) Copy fport.exe to your System32 folder

2) Create a batch file with the below contents and name it whatever you wish(launch.bat for example)....and place that file in a folder of your choice.

Code:
    fport > fport.txt
    notepad.exe fport.txt 
    3) You can either go to where launch.bat is located and select it or place a short-cut on your desktop to that file.

When you execute the above batch file it should open fport in a cmd box with notepad overlayed and the fport info.

Bubba

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I think 'netstat -an' in the cmd box does the same , or am i wrong?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

netstat will give port\protocol.

fport will give port\protocol\pid\process

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

There is a other nice freeware utility for that purpose out there called CurrPorts.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    There are by the way alot of nice Freeware tools available on this page.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

Thank you, Bubba, I got the fport to work following your instructions - at last I know what some of these ports are being used for.

And thank you, Tommy - I copied down & used the CurrPorts also. VERY interesting & should help resolve some things.

Thanks everyone - this is exactly what I have been looking for, though I may be back asking additional questions on some of these items.

THANKS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.