Foxit Reader upgrade warning

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

OpenCandy does not get installed, it is used by the installer of Foxit and also many other installers to offer 3rd party software to install alongside the program you are installing.

It's important to note that the 3rd party offers can be deselected so that nothing extra gets installed. Also, OpenCandy is only used during the install process to offer the extra software, after that it is not used. More than likely you will end up with OpenCandy components in your temporary folder, but these will be removed if you clean your temp files, and are quite harmless as once the install has finished these files are never used again.

Another point to note is that none of the software offered via OpenCandy is malicious. So if you don't pay attention when installing software and don't uncheck the extra software, at least you won't end up with anything harmful installed, and you will be able to install the extra programs installed via Add/Remove programs.

Edit: It should be noted that OpenCandy is most definitely not malware.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

That's right. It is usually classified as PUP by AV vendors that detect it.

hqsec

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

The problem is, PUP's often act very similar to malware.

PUP vendors always threaten to sue AV vendors, but I am unaware of any actual lawsuit. Most people that threaten to sue are either lying, or bluffing. Anyone that has dealt with the legal system knows it's horribly expensive, and time consuming, and avoidance is always the best course of action. If I am wrong, I'd love to see evidence of a PUP maker actually pushing into a lawsuit - not just letters - against an AV vendor. Anyone can pay an attorney $100 to send a letter. /yawn

MBAM has taken a stance against PUPs, which I appreciate. That took balls, and is paying off. I wish other companies would step up, and start classifying PUPs as Malware. Frankly, I am more worried about PUPS these days than actual viruses. I've seen systems taken down to virtual uselessness with so many pups, and pup loaders. It's not fun.

Any company loading pups, or even offering pups as part of an installation generally don't get my business. Avira is the exception, because I believe they are now in the process of ditching that garbage toolbar. If they don't, I will find a different product. Foxit just got added to the avoid list, permanently. Diskeeper got my business (6 license pack so far) because most of the defraggers (like Auslogics and Puran) are now lacing their installs with Malware (PUPS).

I had to laugh when I read this;

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/07/malwarebytes-adopts-aggressive-pup-policy/

and saw this;

MalwareBytes’s ignoring this issue and classifying them as PUPs without reasonable cause is harming my business and costing me income. I’m starting to wonder if a lawsuit is the only way I can get their attention on this matter.

So a dork with a hideous looking 1990's website, and PUP laced terrible looking free Jigsaws is going to sue Malwarebytes? Hilarious.. The guy must have been the class clown in highschool. PUP are Malware to me, and one of the most ANNOYING things to remove from PC's I work on. Here's to companies working to fight PUP's, and may all the companies offloading them with their products go out of business.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@DoctorPC
    Couldn't agree more.:thumb:

5. roger_m

I think that would be a really bad move. I hate it when AVs identify anything that isn't malicious as being a threat. Some of these PUPs, I actually use.

However, I have no problem with PUPs being clearly identified as being potentially unwanted.

There are already lots of scam malware removal pages which try to con users into buying antimalware or AV software to remove harmless software (which they falsely claim is dangerous) which can be removed via Add/Remove programs. It always makes me laugh when a registry cleaner is described as rogue antispyware. If AVs were to classify any PUPs as being malicious it would only make the program worse.

6. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Which specific PUPs do you use, and enjoy? Just curious.

MBAM's anti-pup stance is noteworthy, and commendable. Same with ESET. Avira needs to step it up, same with the others.

7. roger_m

Uniblue's DriverScanner is one.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Are there no alternatives to it? :D

9. roger_m

Yes, there are many alternatives. But, that's not the point - I scanned the installed DriverScanner exe file at VirusTotal and it was not detected. But, AdwCleaner detects it (probably because it is bundled with some installers).

10. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

This is why I use SumatraPDF, they also have 64Bit version (which shows thumbnails on 64Bit).

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Sumatra is excellent. I've used it for years, and consider it my go-to.

Anyone notice, Russian software rarely has PUPs, while US-based software tends to be loaded with them? Sumatra, Adguard, WinRAR, Yandexbrowser, KIS, VBA, NANO etc. I don't think I have ever run into RU software with PUPS. Very odd.

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

WinPCap is another example.

13. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I'm using Foxit 5.4.5 and that's gonna be it for me. I tried 6 when it came out but hated it. I liked Foxit when I started using it back with version 4 as a simple and light reader, but it's gone to hell in a handbasket. I'll just keep what I've got until I have a good reason to switch.

I've tried PDF XChange and it has one huge advantage over Foxit if you copy and paste a lot from PDFs. Foxit has the crappiest text selector I've ever seen but PDF XChange's works like a charm. ;)

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes that also annoys me, I will probably switch. :)

I kinda like it. ;)

LOL, my bad, I didn't even notice it. :p

15. Beefoxy

Beefoxy Registered Member

Yesterday I logged into a computer that doesn't get used much and saw the Foxit Update notification on the taskbar. I've used Foxit for years, and while I don't like the recent updates I never had a reason not to trust it, so I allowed the update. Then I proceeded to work on some emails and got careless - apparently when prompted to install Open Candy my key strokes for the email must have clicked the "install" button. I only had a glimpse of the word "Candy" so at least I knew what had happened later.

My browser then shut down after Open Candy installed, and each time I tried to open Firefox or IE it closed immediately. I could no longer access the internet. Open Candy did not appear in my Programs and so I could not uninstall it, either with Windows control panel or CCleaner.

A scan by Avast revealed no problems.

I used my smart phone to look up the problem and the fix, which was the go-to standard, Malwarebytes.

With respect to Roger_m, perhaps by the strictest definition Open Candy isn't "malware," but when a program has a default "install" (allowing for errors such as mine) then blocks internet access and doesn't allow a convenient uninstall, that is one of my definitions of "bad-software" and it puts a blackeye on the Foxit company.

Going back to Adobe products. At least they don't hijack my computer.

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

17. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Beefoxy, if you like Foxit, I suggest you look at Foxit portable version. Nothing gets bundled and it works very nice. All you really need to remember is not to update from within the program. Running installers over the top is the way to upgrade.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/office/foxit_reader_portable

Bo

18. roger_m

OpenCandy does not install on your system, it installs 3rd party software. Whatever was installed should have been able to be installed via add/remove programs - however it would have been listed under its own name - not OpenCandy.

This is understandable as what got installed was most likely "unwanted" rather than being an actual threat. In such cases Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner quite possibly would have found it.

I'm sure the problems you had with your browsers were the result of the sofrware installed by OpenCandy being buggy, rather than anything intentional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.