Foxit Reader upgrade warning

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Foxit Reader V614-0-217 is the latest release.

Warning: This release has additional software that you may or may not want. In both the Express and Custom Installation you can not SKIP any of these extras or deselect them. It installs Search Protect as your home page, default search and the new tabs to Conduit Search for IE, FF and Chrome. It will block other software's attempts to change your browser and search settings.

These extras are not welcome on my systems so I have uninstalled Foxit Reader permanently. If anyone knows how to install this app. without these pests then I would still be interested in it.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

4. bo elam

Doctor, if you ran your PDFs in a sandbox, you wouldn't worry about exploits.:cool:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie

Bo

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

dont use foxit anymore on any pc havent in a good while.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Not good that stuff auto installs :thumbd: But @ least we do have a choice with the Portable version :thumb:

Nothing compared to Adobe :D

I'm still using V.4.3.1 :D Works just fine :)

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ emmjay...
    Is this your warning, or are you quoting someone?
    Bo knows! :thumb:

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Some alternative software ?

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

As I only need to read and print PDFs, I use Google Chrome to open those files. It's more than enough for my needs.

hqsec

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I stopped using f-it years ago when I'd get update prompting, try our other software etc. like 10x a week.

I went to Sumatra PDF for a couple years. Now I'm using Nitro PDF. Nitro does what PDFCreator does so I could uninstall PDFCreator as well. And PDFCreator was getting screwy with PDFArchitecture & other weird stuff.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just downloaded and installed it, and if you do a custom install you can deselect Search Protect. I did this and it was not installed.

This version would not be listed on Softpedia if you could opt of the extras.

However since I already had PDF-Xchange installed, I'm going to remove Foxit now. I prefer PDF-Xchange - and the installer is half the size.

14. roger_m

When you install Foxit, a Foxit Cloud plugin is installed and can't opt out. But you can uninstall it via Programs and Features.

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Bo, I will take a look at the portable version and run it sandboxed.

Roger-m, I can not see how you got the latest version installed using Custom Install. Where did you get to deselect all the extras?

Page42, The warning is on the installation GUI when you select your option. See the attached screenshot.

NB: I downloaded the new version from the official Foxit website.

Attached Files:

16. roger_m

Have a look at your first screenshot, under Custom Install, uncheck "Install Search Protect..."

17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Oh, I see what you mean about deselecting it now. I just have to click on custom install and remove the tickie for the pests. My apology for stating that it could not be deselected. My brain must have been in neutral or park.

18. roger_m

It's easy to miss.

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Interesting stuff here. I tried to update Foxit on my Virtual Machine from the Foxit program itself, but I kept getting the message "download failed". So I tried my Avast software updater which alerted me to the update in the first place. It kicked me into Foxit for a fresh install of the latest version. Whoa, I had to use the "Custon" install to avoid all that crap that they try to sneak by you.

Then I went to my main system (not the Virtual Machine). I directly downloaded the latest Foxit and installed. Online Armor immediately stopped the download with a RED popup, I don't even remember ever seeing a red popup before, telling me that Malware was attempting to install, something called OpenCandy whatever the heck that is. I told Online Armor to "Block it" and "Remember my decision". The install of Foxit continued and worked. But ... what the heck has happened to Foxit, should I now returne to Adobe?? And what about my Virtual Machine, is Open Candy now installed on it (it does not have Online Armor).

Anyway, thanks to hqsec for posting that poll. I am going to check out Sumatra and XChange Viewer, two programs that I have never heard of before.

Sigh, :doubt: , another formerly good program bites the dust.

Acadia

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  20. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Foxit is as good as it was, it just needs some special installation measures :) I always unpack the installer myself and then copy to the Foxit folder only what's needed (and not dangerous).

From here: http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/#uninstall

21. bo elam

I agree. I use the portable version and whenever its time to upgrade, I just run the installer over the top, its all that's needed. Nothing gets bundled.

Bo

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

A bit OT, but I'm sticking with an old version of Foxit Reader, I absolutely hate the new ribbon GUI. :thumbd:

23. bo elam

I don't like it either. You have the option to get rid of it immediately after installing Foxit.

Bo

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I just started using Foxit reader a couple months ago, works fine for me.

25. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I have been w/FoxIt Reader for a good long while now. I've been very happy with it. Though I don't like the offers, but I've always been able to untick them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.