Forum suggestion: Improve quickreply

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Omicron, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omicron

Omicron Registered Member

Is it possible to directly use quickreply?
    Currently you have to click on the reply button before you can use quickreply

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Omicron

Have you used the little icon on the bottom right of the message window?

Attached Files:

3. Omicron

Omicron Registered Member

Yes, exactly
    I mean this button

But in other vBB Forums you needn't click on this button.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Some you do, some you don't. It's a configuration option. We've choosen to require the button click here because it ties the reply to the specific post being replied to, which allows a threaded path to be followed thru the posts. (Without hitting the button, vBulletin won't know if it is a specific post being quick replied to, or the thread as a whole.)

The "parent" of a reply is only known if a quick reply is made after hitting the button in the appropriate post. In the next version, there will be a snap-back feature that allows a person to click on a link in a quoted reply message, and jump to the original post that was replied to. So, the configuration options recommend requiring the quick reply button to be pressed to keep all these cross-references working.

It's a global board setting, not a per user one, so it's all one way or the other. I've choosen to go with preserving the back link capability.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have never used quick reply. It looks confusing and certainly not like any quick reply at other sites. I had no idea what that icon was for. Now that I know, I still won't use quick reply as it is too uninviting. I do not use a threaded look ever at any forum on the internet. I like flat only so for me all this stuff about threading is superfluous. ;)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use it too often and i like this way, so can quote to a post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.