Forum moving network segments at host - New IP address

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Jan 8, 2015.

1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This is a heads-up that we're going to be making a move between network segments at our hosting company. The new network is IPv6 ready, while the one we're on now is not. Also, the server hardware is of a newer, more powerful class on the new network.

I'm not sure we're going to be 100% IPv6 capable the day we move, but, I'm trying to get us set up so we can support it. I think it's the right thing to do in the long run.

I don't know when I'll be making the move. It could be anytime now though. I'm waiting for a few things internally, then I'll just pick us up and move us in a single, moderately short downtime. It should only take a couple hours. Some of you won't even notice - if you aren't trying to access the forum during that period.

Our IP address will be changing. We'll still have an IPv4 address, of course.

The new IPv4 address will be: 104.236.97.180

But, don't bother trying to get to it now. It'll just point you back here. (Any of you who hard-code our IP address in your Hosts file, make note of the new address and be prepared to replace the old one with this one once we've moved.)

Everything should be mostly transparent once the move happens. As with any hosting move, the big issue will be DNS propagation. DNS updates (to new addresses) always are a bit of a pain. Some people's DNS will update within minutes. Others may go a couple days and still their ISP's DNS won't have updated to reflect our move. It can't be help though. It just works that way.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This move has been completed.

If you are seeing this post, you are at the new server on the new network.

If you have IPv6 capabilities, you might be browsing here via IPv6 now.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Nice :thumb:
    What's this forum's IPv6 address?

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great! :cool:

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Should be 2604:A880:0800:0010:0000:0000:02FC:2001/64

Mike will confirm if this is correct.

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Congratulations! I know how nerve cracking moving a site to another host can be ;)

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Congrats and thanks, Mike!

Works!

Many thanks for the board and all you're doing!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.