Forum Migration to XenForo Completed

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Have to agree with others - it's bright . The only logout I see is clicking on user name > settings > Log Out. There was one at
    bottom of page and I think top as well.

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

PINK (eeek) and my poor spider looks like he needs urgent medical care. Time to redo the Avatar. Otherwise, very nice. Congrats!

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That thing is a classic... it's the cover of the 1st King Crimson album way back in the 60's/70's... :)

5. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Trying again...

Had to log in and out twice but I think It finally worked.

rrrh1 (arch1)

Attached Files:

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

hahahaha! :argh:

indeed! my dad got the album in the late 60's when i was about 10.
    he liked the slow songs.
    me i could not get enough of "21st Century Schizoid Man". :)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that was a great album, and those were definitely the days... :)

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

@Tarnak, thanks! FWIW, the only thing I changed was I checked the previously unchecked "View your details on your profile page" privacy option, and under that selected members only.

LowWaterMark, LowWaterMark, LowWaterMark

It appears that with javascript *enabled* the vertical allowance for quoted material (before it goes into Click to expand...) mode is rather limited. I'm seeing just 7 readable lines in one of my test posts, before the text appears to fade out. This may make it inconvenient for cases where someone posts a link and includes a moderate amount of quoted material from the link. Fade out effect looks kinda bad too.

QuoteTest.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I raised the avatar filesize limits. While the software resizes some images from 100KB down to like 15KB, the more high def images don't sjrink like that. So, bigger limits are in place.

10. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Sorry to say, but the new look of the Forum is quite bad (or frankly speaking: terrible). All is too bright and it is difficult now to see where a posting ends and the next one begins.

And this is not only a matter of taste. Because looking at and even more reading in the Forum is now very exhausting and tiring for the eyes. This applies also to the new font.

Compare the new with the old look and you will see and feel the tremendous difference. (You can see it for example in the pictures posted above by Tarnak in # 83.) (Yes, Tarnak, I agree with you: By far too much "air" in the new appearance.)

And the usage is also very different (and less practical) compared with the old Forum.

O.k. users will get accustomed to some new things by the time. But was it really necessary to choose a solution that differs in so many important details so fundamentally from the old version?

11. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

My eyes... [​IMG][​IMG]:confused:

12. guest

guest Guest

We also using Xenforo in Malwaretips.com since some months and it has definitely better usability and functionalities (especially some efficient moderation & spamcleaning tools for the staff) , etc...

With time all of you will like it. For the colors it is just a question of taste and it can be changed ^^

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I think it (change) was driven by the 'youth' market, and their use of mobile computing via hand held devices. As for security, if it 'ain't broke'....;)

All, I know, is I seem to have to click a lot more, than I used to before, while traversing the 'new look' Wilders. And, I use batteries in my mouse and keyboard.

Sometimes change is unwelcome, for some ....like me!

14. LowWaterMark

Well, as I explained in the original announcement. This wasn't for look or fancy features. It was for the rock solid security built into the forum design and for mobile computing device support. Mobiles are not just used by youth. (And mobile has the potential of being 1/2 of our traffic if we support the screen size... which now we do.) It had to be done.

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Fair enough...all points of view must be made.;)

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

My 'youth' has got up and walked out on me! LOL

17. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I agree, with this new style you can not tell the difference between posts, signatures and quotes. The best thing about vbulletin was that you could clearly tell each post apart; they were in separate boxes. The quotes within posts were easily distinguishable as well on vbulletin.

Even reading this thread, I had difficulty in judging where one post ended and another began. The thin blue line separating posts is nearly invisible on my laptop's LCD.

18. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Members online - not sorted from a to z
    Too much spacing between threads
    Pink quotes are very distracting and I too have trouble judging where posts start and end
    Enormous avatars, so short posts have a ton of empty, blinding, space
    Date and time at the bottom are barely visible and post number also almost hidden
    Pages are wider than before. In Opera I have to use Fit to page all the time.

If at home in a text file I have a quickie link "great post about ... Wilders t=123456" or "p=123456" I was always able to type in the number and find the post. Now it looks like I have to know the entire title. OUCH. There's probably a way, But I haven't figured it out.

Appreciate the work in terms of security, but can't we just go back to the old, crystal clear, pleasant took of Wilders?

19. LowWaterMark

I'll be working on the appearence and missing features as time goes by. I just want to make sure the engine is running right first.

It'll get better over time as new options are made available.

20. TheWindBringeth

Two things...

1) FYI: The server is serving me 96x96 avatars (for those related to threads) and 192x192 avatars (at some other time I can't now find). It rescaled the 200x200 avatar I made.
    2) I started a conversation with Tarnak. Now that it is done I'm exploring what I need to do to "get rid of it". Went into conversations, checked the conversation, then set the Other Action drop down to Leave Conversations (assume that is what one would do). With Javascript *disabled*, when I then click the Go button I get a "Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again." page. With javascript *enabled* the conversation disappears from the list. Not sure if that "security error msg" reflects something that needs looking at.

You must be tired LWM.

Edit: Oh, it appears i get 192x192 avatars when I look at my own profile, 96x96 avatars when I look at someone else's profile.

21. LowWaterMark

Just a bit tired. I'll have been sitting here for 24 straight hours in an hour and a half.

Yes, "leaving a conversation" does exactly the same thing in the xF database as PM delete did in vBulletin. It's just a different term.

I can't speak to what happens with javascript disabled.

22. TheWindBringeth

Was that one of the xF guys here earlier as a mod? Hanging out to see how things went? If so, that was nice. If not, oh well, just didn't recognize the nick.

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

This question has not received an answer. Will the "proceed to last post" in a thread "button" be restored with this new softwareo_O

edit: do not see post counts as well.

edit#2: proceed to last post is working now thank god

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm first post in our new house. :) Well, I must agree with the people thinking it's too bright I liked the light blueish tone in the old forum wich were easy on my eyes. I could spend a long time in the forum wich will be harder now before my eyes says they've had enough for the day. But it's the first day so i'm sure the tweaking hasn't been finished yet. But so far good job LWM :thumb:

25. LowWaterMark

No, that was an alternate name I was using... I needed several, one at each level to check access and functionality across all usergroups.

I'll be looking at all usablity items like that over time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.