Forum Migration to XenForo Completed

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Apr 6, 2014.

1. guest

guest Guest

After a week the posts will have dates. Or...

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yeah, that's the whole relative date styling that appears to be so popular now. vBulletin did use Today and Yesterday, but, that's as far as they went relative. Longer than that it became the actual date. I may look at doing the same here.

3. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Can't upload image file. File is less than 512KB and jpg extension.

4. LowWaterMark

Any specific error message? Also, what are the pixel dimensions. I believe there is a image display size (not filesize) limit also.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

When I click the "Watch Thread" link, I get a popup asking whether I want email notification. Is it possible to set a preference for this instead of having it ask me every time? Also the default value is set for no notifications, making me have to click 3 times total to watch a thread AND have notifications.

6. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

No error messages. The file size is 498KB and pixel dimensions are 400x425. The upload box indicator just keeps running.

7. LowWaterMark

OK. Never mind then.

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Just noticed that this arrangement lacks a "reason for editing" box/line. Which I used at times. I'm curious... did anyone else make use of that? I guess those who are inclined could manually put that in when they are editing. The info would show up in the message rather than footnote though.

9. guest

guest Guest

Sometimes, but I mostly edited my posts just to fix typos and grammar errors. More often I put the "EDIT:" part when I think it's necessary to add something I forgot/need to add.

10. snerd

snerd Registered Member

I've always just put ETA: in front of any editing.

11. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I followed another guy's suggestion: go to each forum you like, then select Watch Forum. Then you have a list of your preferred forums. I just bookmarked it and then I get directly there.

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Problem: I enable Fluid theme, log in, then log out. The theme reverts to default.

13. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Wilders was in maintenance for a while?

14. LowWaterMark

Yes, there was a host controller hang at Digital Ocean. They forced a hard shutdown of all servers connected to that host to recover it. I had to do table repairs when we came back up because some were flagged improperly shutdown. In the end though, there weren't any actual errors found by the repair operation. But, it took a long time to run the checks.

15. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Thanks very much guv'nor.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ LowWaterMark

Thanks for fixing the page number visibility problem. :thumb:

I would still like to see smilies automatically (just like on any other forum).
    It would also be cool if signatures where visible when logged out. (Yes you already explained the current setting).

And the high CPU usage is annoying, but on new PC´s I suppose it´s not an issue.
    One final thing, why are (already posted) messages not visible when replying?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  17. LowWaterMark

Just to be sure I know what you are talking about. Do you mean about having to hit the smiley activation button to get them to appear?

smiley-activation-button.png

If that is it, I think people can hit that button if they want them... they appear instantly once hit.

No, I can't do that. It's as I explained before.

The high CPU thing bothers me, too, which is why I disable Rich Text editing.

As with most "whys" here, it's simply how this software is designed. I suspect they think most people use the quick reply box at the end of a thread, so, they can see what is above. Once someone clicks into the More Options, I guess they didn't think it was needed? I doubt I can recreate the inverted list of previous posts. It'd be very complex.

18. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ LowWaterMark

I'm sure that you mentioned before that you had contributed code for XF. If so, could you ask your contacts to try to include this feature that is lacking, compared to Vb ;)

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I probably have an even older PC and CPU than you do, but I don't have that CPU usage issue that you and LWM seem to have, I guess I should be thankful for that. :)

20. LowWaterMark

About CPU load and the rich text editor. It varies widely for me depending upon browser being used. Virtually not noticable in Chrome, but I rarely use Chrome for anything. Slight character hesitation while typing in IE8, which is what I use to post here. Long character hesitations (and often getting a word or two ahead) while typing in Opera, my preferred browser for everything else. It has to be related to varying Javascript implementations across different browsers.

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

My CPU usage is normal. I am not having the high CPU problem either (old XP or W7).:)

Bo

22. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Same here, exactly the same plus hard on the CPU (P4) and the fan runs like crazy. Just can't use Opera to write. SeaMonkey is OK, but even that sometimes delays a letter almost invisiby, but the delay is here.
    I hope Opera will eventually work here 'cause I like it most.

23. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello, act8192,

I'm using Opera 12.10 and haven't noticed what you've described. I've got Task Manager open as I type (using the Rich Text Editor) and don't notice high CPU usage for Opera. As I look, it varies from 2 - 15%.

My Toshiba laptop is several years old, and the Intel CPU is rated @ 2.194 GHz.

----
    rich

24. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I'm on A75 Toshiba laptop from 2006 , 3.06gHz, 1gRAM, and every letter is a struggle.
    At this point I saw 34.25 peak, between words it's 0-1.56%.
    The fan goes on and off, runs all the time, but mostly NOT the highest level as in SeaMonkey. But in SM at least I can type. It's a struggle here. When I typed fast, dropping things, CPU got to 49%. Ouch.
    New peak 41.35%.

Opera 12.16 and free avast which looks pretty idle here.
    I was looking via PProcessExplorr

25. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ act8192

Your fan issues "might" be due to it, & the heatsinks etc etc needing cleaning. Worth checking etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.