Forum is really slow

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Prodigy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered Member

Is it just for me or anyone have experienced the same thing ?, for most of time, i am getting 7 seconds into more than 2 minutes for my firefox to render the forums, not happened to other forums or sites that i have visited.

Clipboard75.png
    http://i.imgur.com/WloaOx0.png

*Look at the red rectangular box at the bottom of the image.

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Forums as usual okay for me. FF46

3. Loler

Loler Registered Member

Yeah it's fine for me. Maybe it's on your end? You could run a network test.

4. manolito

manolito Registered Member

I do have exactly the same problems as Prodigy. It started about a month ago, and I did not find a way to solve it so far...
    The Wilders startup page loads fast, but for every link I click I get timeouts (2 to 4 depending on the browser), I always have to reload the page repeatedly.

Here is what I tried:
    1. Changed the DNS server first in the TCP/IP settings, then also in the router settings to use Google DNS servers.
    2. Flushed the DNS cache repeatedly.
    3. Edited my HOSTS file to force wilderssecurity.com for the IP address 104.236.97.180
    4. There is no difference if I use HTTP or HTTPS.

Nothing helped. This happens under Opera, Firefox and Chrome.
    I am located in Germany, my OS is WinXP SP3.

All other websites and forums behave normally, so I am quite sure that the issue lies at Wilders.
    Any ideas what other workarounds I could try?

Cheers
    manolito

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Did you also remove all temporary internet files and browser's cache?

6. manolito

Of course...

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

XP SP3 here - all is normal. Loads really fast.

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Sounds fun! Just throwing out ideas...

Could it be the result of a common addon installed in the affected browsers? Could those browser installations have been miss-configured or tampered with in some way? Test with something else, up to date and fresh, if you haven't already. Such as a portable app (installed in a non-standard location just in case that helps foil something else).

Is there local software (AV, whatever) that intercepts/proxies traffic from [well-known] browsers? Many work with HTTPS too, by installing a root CA. If you can identify such software and temporarily turn off such features for a test, maybe that will tell you something. If you have a spare machine with a different setup, you could also try that.

Do you have any Wilders-specific firewall rules that might be coming into play?

You could fire up Wireshark and take a look at traffic on the wire. If necessary, check port usage and/or network activity from within the browser. Just to see if you spot something out of the ordinary.

You could try ping/traceroute to see if your route to Wilders looks solid or shows signs of intermittent problems.

You could have someone else nearby and using the same ISP try. Just in case there is a routing problem specific to your neck of the woods.

If you can change your IP Address, you could do so and see if that makes a difference.

9. manolito

After numerous tests I am quite sure that the XenForo forum software does not like my ancient hardware...
    I have an Intel Coppermine 1.1 GHz CPU, single core, MMX and SSE, but no SSE2. System RAM is 576 MB. Newer notebooks on the same Internet connection have no problems with the Wilders forum, so my ISP can be ruled out. I also do not run any local software which intercepts Internet traffic, not even a resident AV software. No specific firewall rules also.
    Has the XenForo software been updated recently?
    Whatever, at least I know now that if I need Wilders to be fast I have to fire up one of my notebooks instead of my slow desktop computer...

Cheers
    manolito

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, it was updated to Version 1.5.7 on April 10.
    If that's not a typo on your system's RAM, this forum is heavy due to its JavaScript, especially on older hardware, with limited resources. As to why it worked before, given your present system specs, and now it's slower, we can't say, however, you need to keep in mind minimum hardware requirement for each item you are running:

1. Win XP SP3 is stated at 64 MB RAM (Source).
    2. Opera requires 512 MB RAM (Source).
    3. Firefox requires 512 MB Ram (Source).
    4. Chrome needs an Intel Pentium 4 processor or later that's SSE2 capable (Source), and newer versions don't run on Win XP.
    Sounds like a good plan! :thumb:

11. manolito

No, it's not a typo for my system RAM. So far keeping my system as lightweight as possible I have always gotten along well.
    I still use Opera 12, Chrome is the latest version which still runs without SSE2, and Firefox is also a little older (I stopped updating it when they started releasing new versions every other day...).

I believe it is the XenForo update which causes my issues. I am in a different forum which uses an older XenForo version, it says ©2010-2015, and this forum is fast on my machine. Maybe it's the configuration of the forum softwareo_O

What I find puzzling is that when I get these timeouts the browser status line says: "Connecting to www.wilderssecurity.com", but the CPU load is almost zero, and there is no HDD activity.

Cheers
    manolito

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. manolito

Here is another indication that the XenForo software at Wilders might have a configuration problem:

I just was on XenForo's own community forum which most likely uses the latest version of the forum software. And this forum is quite fast on my ancient machine...

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If it's taking ages at the "connecting" stage it is not the forum software. It is not a DNS issue either as you state this happens when clicking on links in the forum, so DNS is already cached. What results do you get when you ping 104.236.97.180?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  14. manolito

I get this (sorry it's in German):

15. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Pretty long. My pings from XP are 15ms max in the US and everything here opens in 1-2sec.
    Manolito, run tracert to Wilders IP (104. etc) several times. Perhaps it'll reveal a bottleneck.
    BTW, the 500meg suggestions for Opera 12 and FF seem high. On Wilders, JRViejo post plus both links open, I see about 72 private meg, 78 working on Opera 12.18, and 150meg private, 132 working in SeaMonkey which is, I gather, a close cousin of FF.

16. manolito

Here's the tracert log:

The slowest response times seem to be from telia.net, but I do not believe that this explains my timeouts.

I did not have any problems with Wilders until about a month ago (on my ancient WinXP machine). Other XenForo based forums do not have problems on this slow machine. And Wilders is fast using a different computer (Win7, Core I5, 4GB RAM). Go figure...

17. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Well, it was worth checking. telia.net is the slowest hop here as well. But nothing as bad as your experience.

18. manolito

Found some more things about these timeouts...

As I said before, the Wilders start page always loads fast. The timeouts only occur when I click on a link from there.

What I found now is that after I have stayed on any Wilders page for a long enough time (at least 2 minutes or more) then clicking another link from there will be fast. While I am staying on a given page there is no CPU load and no HDD activity whatsoever (only right after a page loads I have 100% CPU load for about 10 seconds).

So I really wonder what is happening during this time which is spent idle on a Wilders page. Does the forum software prefetch links during this time? My Opera 12 browser certainly does not perform any prefetching.

Cheers
    manolito

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.