FortKnox personal firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mtr, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtr

mtr Registered Member

Why is it that there is hardly any discussion to be found on FortKnox? Both on this forum and on the net itself. All real info I could find here is this(dated) post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=160087
    As I long-time Sygate PFP user (which sadly doesn't work on x64), it does appeal to me on first sight (the UI and apparent ease-of-use). What about the achitecture though? Can anyone give me their insight or motiviation for (not) using it?

Positives:
    - Sygate roots;
    - easy to configure & use, also for noobs (a.k.a. known as grandparents), as opposed to strictly rule-based options;
    - runs on x64;

Negatives:
    - 'local host' gap;
    - 20K+ RAM usage (as opposed to 6K for Sygate);

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. inka

inka Registered Member

Why doesn't it receive much attention? Here's my guess:

Noob-friendly doesn't make it a standout product. When Gramma buys a PC, a trial of some bloatware 'security suite' is probably pre-installed. I bet the 'uptake' is pretty high -- most users sticking with (and registering) the pre-installed suite rather than looking around for alternatives.

Sooner or later, when Gramma gets "bitten" despite the presence of her installed "security suite" and, disgruntled, looks around (or asks around) for an alternative "security solution" product... a freestanding FW product, like FortKnox FW, probably doesn't appear on her radar.

3. mtr

mtr Registered Member

Thanks for the guess, but are you speaking from experience?

I started this post mainly because I have to find an alternative to Sygate when switching to Win7x64. FNX 'looks' ok (apart from the mem usage) but I can't find any details on how 'good' its architecture is.

If it's not sufficient, I'll have to keep on looking for another solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.