FortiClient Endpoint Security 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jul 11, 2013.

1. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

I ve seen this free suit getting high results in AV-Comparatives,VB 100 and AV-test( protection )
    http://www.fortinet.com/products/endpoint/forticlient.html

Has any one tried it?
    How is it on the system?(impact on boot time and resources,download speed etc.)

Is there any offline installer?

Thanks

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

There are a few threads about Fortinet. It's web filter is fantastic. It's AV is also really good.
    I tried it briefly about 6 months ago. It was fairly light but I do remember mem usage was a little high.
    Here is the link if you need it. http://www.forticlient.com/download-forticlient-windows.html

3. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yes, web filter is great, was just trying it against some malware, blocked most. It does run 6 processes though, but fairly light for that many..

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Actually I had a different experience; the AV was great for me but the web filter had a lot of false positives compared to other offerings. Overall I think this is a highly underrated AV solution by the general populus (not the game Populus either). In my opinion its one of the most improved AV's in recent time.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

In a nutshell-

1). The Webfilter will detect many things, but perhaps too many.

2). The AV is better than most but not as good as some.

3), If you happen to run into something for which FC does not have a definition you are lost.

4). The "Application Firewall" may as well not exist.

There are better freeware solutions (much better).

6. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Oh, it implies it relies only on detection? That's really unsafe to use it as the only security.

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Forticlient is primarily intended to be used with a Fortigate system.
    As a standalone installation, it's nice but not great.
    I also find it quite on the slow side of the spectrum.

Note: the application firewall is now hidden (inactive) when used standalone.
    (re the Forticlient manual)

8. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

There's an interview online with Fortinet's CEO, in which he says there's a cloud component for suspicious files not covered by the signature files. I don't have the link at hand, but you can google for it.

The Forticlient AV gets very good ratings in the AV Comparatives and VB100 tests. It doesn't pepper you with ads to "upgrade" (unlike Avast and Bitdefender). You don't have to set up an account with Fortinet to use it (also unlike Avast and Bitdefender). And it gives you fine-grained control over what categories of websites you want filtered - not just malicious sites (also unlike Avast and Bitdefender).

I use it on one of my systems, and recommended it to a non-technical family member (who is happy with it). The signature file updates seem to take longer than Avast's or Bitdefender's, but in normal operation, I haven't noticed any particular slowdown of my machine.

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

No, it relies on a web filter as well. And this is a perfect solution for people who can't stand HIPS. To my knowledge Avira, Avast, AVG and ESET all don't have HIPS. If you want additional HIPS protection you can download PFW.

In my experiances in the past FC is very very good at detection and it's web filter is second to none among the freewares. However I found it's CPU/IO usage to be higher than other alternatives.
    I have compromised on Avira Premium since it also doesn't have any HIPS.

10. cruelsister

The Web filter is very good, the AV is above average. The killer is the lack of anything else (BB, Sandbox, etc) that protects against non-detected items. By definition this lack means that it will be useless against any Zero-day malware (not that one may ever run into one in the real world). But even with samples that have been around for a bit I've been able repeatedly to infect computers protected by FC.

There are better freeware options.

11. blasev

blasev Registered Member

interesting av, installing.....

update :
    first impression : its light on resources but the definition update is very lengthy.
    and now I'm still in update process, after 1 and half hour in my slow connection (~200Kbps)

update 2 :
    finally the update is finished. it takes 2 and half hours :D
    stand alone / free version didn't have firewall and vulnerability scan
    Web filter is very good :thumb:

I like the simplicity, no HIPS is a good sign for me, since I prefer other solution
    I will use this further before come with some conclusion

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the web filter is imo a bit to sensitive not to bad but still many fp's. the av scanner is very decent not quite up there with i feel the best of the best but it does very decent especially for a free av while still staying reasonably light. though i hate the lack of many options its better than many others but i still prefer to have more control over my av which is why i dont use many others as my daily one. i have this installed on a few client systems and so far it has done well.

13. mattdocs12345

I have to strongly disagree with you. FC got 99.3% on real world protection.

Not to mention 5 False Positives, lowest out of all the tested AVs out there...

14. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well from what i have seen of forticlient it is an excellent free software.
    Again great detection rates are not required by most average users.

You have been able to repeatedly infect computers with forticlient installed because you have intentionally tried to infect it and all software would fail in this respect.
    Most people do not intentionally try to infect their computers.

I think people can use forticlient and sandboxie and be very secure on the internet and windows parental controls could be used also.

It really depends on the user what sort of security software is required.
    Thanks.:)

15. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Only thing I like from them is their excellent AV engine, nothing else. Bye.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  16. blasev

blasev Registered Member

strange , the web filter block connection attempt from fortiscand.exe
    other than that, everything run good and fast,

I agree with AMIGA500, to use it with sandboxie . great for everyday use :D :thumb:

for those who want to see benchmark against other endpoint :
    -http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/corporate-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/-

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  17. joter

joter Registered Member

Very good and reliable AV engine.
    Web filter is superior.
    These are the results from many systems that have been installed.

Regards
    joter

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

In terms of protection, this suite is great. I just wish it were a bit lighter.

19. The Red Moon

How much resources does it use.?

20. mattdocs12345

Look at AV comperatives... it uses twice as much as Avira. You can certainly feel that you have an AV, even on a newer laptops.

21. The Red Moon

Thank you.
    Shame,looks a very good program.

22. cruelsister

Amiga- I guess you missed my point. Forticlient has very good AV detection, but not great. The real issue is that it has no other means of defense for malware not detected whereas other freeware AM's do. To say that this point is trivial as most will never come up against malware is rather shortsighted. Shouldn't one prepare for the worst case scenario?

And yes, I do try my best to infect computers protected by various products with malware; it's my occupation as well as my hobby. Almost every product will come upon something that it cannot handle. But some take much work to overcome, some are not so hard. FortiClient belongs in the latter category.

23. The Red Moon

Thank you cruelsister and please forgive me if i appeared discourteous.

Of course you are absolutely correct in your observations and i agree with you totally.
    Interesting occupation you have there..what exactly is the title of that lol.?

CIS or OA would probably be my choices in the freeware category.
    Thanks.

24. mattdocs12345

It's current detection is better than Avira's. I would say that's a great detection.

25. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

FortiClient 5.0.4

What's new in this version: Version 5.0.4 includes integrated rootkit detection and cleaning technology, Cloud antivirus ability.

Homepage & download:
    -http://www.forticlient.com/

Source:
    -http://download.cnet.com/FortiClient/3000-2239_4-75532356.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.