FortiClient 4.2.0.250

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brocke, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Has anyone looked at this? i see they updated it last month and not sure how the newest version is compaired to others.

anyone care to test?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i tested it like 5 months ago and it was good(the firewall)

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Forticlient Free uses only a subset (small blacklist fingerprint) of its AV data base. The AV includes registry autorun (only limited regisry keys) protection. The AV is therefore weak in tests.

The FW is surprisingly easy to use (basic FW) and light. Only pity i swhen you do not use the IP blacklist feature, the process watching the proxy was stil using quite some CPU time. Consider it an easier to use Sunbelt FW Free without the nag screen. It inlcudes a whitelist also. Which is updated by Forticlient on a regular base. It really is a nice FW choice for people requiring a simple software FW.

Regards Kees

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

This has been asked before, probably by me. Just checking if you can still install the firewall only in setup?

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Not tested in this version. But previously it could be done..:)

7. Kees1958

Just tried it.

FW can be installed seperately. When choosing custom install keep update through proxy disabled. FortProxy.exe will still be loaded but does not seem to eat CPU time any more.

Other observation: in the free the extended AV signatures are also included. Could thi smean that AV now of Free version now contains complete AV signature data base?

Regards Kees

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi Kees1958,
    As stated in their webpage free version lacks only 8x5 web/chat & 24x7 phone support, Central Management, Logging (and centralized reporting) & WAN Optimization.

9. Kees1958

There autorun protection now also uses the application whitelist. Did a restore after trying out Epic and RunOnce was auto allowed while I had set it to ASK. :thumb:

Well they problably decided to include the extended signatures, because without them they got miseravle reviews.

Such tests (with the 4.1 version) harm your brand more than the offering of a free version provides benefits. Free 4.2 version has the extended signatures

See pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have got to say I am impressed with the Forticlient lab, I sent some samples in this morning and just got a response that every bit of malware will be detected in the next updat. Out of the 10ish av's I sent it to Forticlient was the first to respond :thumb:

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

They improved a lot in detection. But the scan speed is sooo slow when it detects some infection. Otherwise good speed.

12. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I've used JUST the FW before and it's a good little software firewall, no complaints.

13. Kees1958

Yep the AV is also very light. Nice thing of the AV it has optional autorun protection. This uses the the blacklist of the AV (off course) and the white list of the FW.

People running the AV or the suite should enable two options
    - enable auto run protection
    - enable scan USB drives when connected

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Captain Kees, you'd recommend this program now for the firewall and its ease of use, and the few extra features you mentioned?

So really, no system drag when it's running?

15. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to install it on one of the family laptops tonight (full suite).

16. Morro

Morro Registered Member

How often does it update now a days? When i tried Forticlient Free a long time ago the update frequency was very bad in my opinion.

17. Kees1958

@Morro

Updates once a day

@Saraceno

Well when someone wants a vvery easy to use firewall and an AV, this is an easy one to use. Enable autorun protection and scan USB stick. I have it running since it was posted at Wilders. Just walk through the settinsg when you install it for a noob friend (default of AV is deny access instead of clean for instance).

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

How is it's webguard? It looked nice in the reviews I have seen, personally I think the WebGuard is one of the best features of this suite.

19. Kees1958

20. Kees1958

@Ibrad

WIth MSE updating soon and some issues with Windows FW (I have set it up 2-way), I removed MSE from my wife's laptop and added Fortinet with AV, Registry Monitor and Webfilter.

Webfilter only looks at security risks

Antivirus changes
    a) scan when USB disk is inserted
    b) background scan pause when battery low
    c) realtime protected added (selected) heuristics, deselected check on read file

Enabled startup monitor (elsewhere in FNC suite called registry monitor).

See how webfilter performs: first impression a little more CPU of fmon, but I/O stays low.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  21. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Thanks Kees, at least they changed that, i might try it out again in the near future.

(Although i am extremely happy with the setup i have now. :) )

22. Kees1958

Never change something what works for you, unless you are bored and got wilders fever

23. Morro

Morro Registered Member

True enough.

24. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've just installed this and I have to say that I really do like it. It may not have the detection rates of the big boys with regards to the AV, but the suite 'feels' nice and secure. It seems to have been well thought out with not too many options, but the right options. Nothing too complicated, but also the sort of things that just seem to be necessary. I'll need to try it over the next few days and see how it goes, but so far, for a free suite, this has massive potential and I may just have found myself a simple, effective, free suite that doesn't bombard me with annoying popups every few minutes. Nice :thumb: .

25. gery

gery Registered Member

is fortinet av an in-home engine based one or borrowed from somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.