Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

I agree there are still many features that need to be added and lots of bugs to fix. Vivaldi is making very good progress IMO. They are nearing a beta release so the focus now is bug fixes and a new feature here and there.

2. wasgij6

3. wasgij6

4. wasgij6

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/60-snapshot-1-0-303-23-tab-and-thumbnail-improvements

6. wasgij6

7. wasgij6

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I must say that the latest version is already quite good, I can see myself switching to Vivaldi sooner or later. I also noticed that extensions like Ghostery seem to be working. It still feels a bit heavy, but that's because it's Chrome based. But overall I'm a bit excited.

9. wasgij6

I agree, vivaldi has come a long way since the beginning. Im glad they are not just releasing buggy incomplete versions. They are actually taking their time and making sure everything works properly before the first GA release.

10. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

im not much up on it - is vivaldi trying to implement the flexibility that opera 12x versions had, while solving the anachronisms it suffered from? (slow page loading, no plugin support etc) ?

11. wasgij6

They are trying to recreate opera 12 using the chromium engine.

12. chrome_sturmen

that would be cool- more and more isnt working with opera 12x but i wouldnt part with it's flexibility

13. wasgij6

It will definitely take some time to recreate all the features that opera 12 had but they are making good progress IMO.

14. Rasheed187

Yes, I'm still missing a couple of key features. I just saw that Opera 33 (Blink) has also been improved a lot, for the first time it was actually usable, and I liked the bookmarking system. But Opera is a bit less customizable, you can't put tabs on bottom for example, which is a deal breaker for me.

I also noticed that both Opera and Vivaldi are quite fast when it comes to loading sites. The thing that I don't like is the Chrome architecture, with numerous of processes, who almost all use about 100MB of RAM, making it a bit of resource hog, even with only 5 tabs open.

15. Rasheed187

Yes, very frustrating that a lot of sites don't work correctly anymore with Opera 12. So I really need to make a switch. Currently I'm still using Opera 12 for my favorite sites, but for general browsing I use Firefox. But I'm not exactly a fan of FF.

16. Rasheed187

BTW, I noticed that the Flash Player didn't work in both Opera 33 and Vivaldi. In Chrome it does work, probably because Flash is integrated into the browser. Does Flash work on your system? To clarify, I run both Opera and Vivaldi under control of Sandboxie. But Flash is installed outside the virtual container, and works just fine in a sandboxed Firefox and Opera 12.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have given up with 12x, just getting too many errors. I have switched to Cyberfox which I am getting more used to.

I tried Opera 33 and tried to add Startpage as the search engine. I followed all the instructions but could not get Opera to list it.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. wasgij6

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/...a-candidate-fixing-tabs-unstacking-on-restart

21. chrome_sturmen

So what do you guys think, will Vivaldi go the distance and become the powerful browser they are aspiring to make it? An updated engine with better site-compatibility combined with Opera 12's flexibility would be pretty great I say.
    Course the guy who developed the original Opera is heading the effort - I figure, he disliked what became of Opera after he left the company, and decided he was going to created Opera: Reboot

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've only used the Linux versions, but I liked it, I think it could be a winner.

23. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I hope for these Opera 12 features
    • User Mode, where I can configure background color, font, font size
    • A similar list of configurable single-key shortcuts
    • R-click on a word and look up in a dictionary/encyclopedia
    • R-click on a photograph to get image properties and the EXIF
    • Customize View Source/HTML editor
    • Shortcut key to open a page in W3C Validation Service (used when creating/editing a web page)
    ----
    rich

24. wasgij6

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/66-the-first-vivaldi-beta

25. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

why no bookmarks button. sucks imo. i hate the sidebar and refuse to use the bookmarks bar i know so many people who feel the same way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.