Formatted TrueCrypt over TrueCrypt encrypted drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by osupo, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osupo

osupo Registered Member

Hello-

I recently started a format on the wrong drive. I have a drive that is completely encrypted with TrueCrypt, not just a partition. I bought a new drive and started formatting the wrong one. I stopped it after it was probably 1/4 done. I don't suppose there is anything I can do to recover this data, is there?

Thank you.

2. osupo

osupo Registered Member

Anyone, please?

3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

1/4th of the data is going to be gone. Best bet is to check with a pro service like OnTrack or something. Sorry bud.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

The embedded backup header still ought to work. Have you tried it?

5. osupo

osupo Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. How would I do such a thing?

6. osupo

osupo Registered Member

Forgot to specify...the new format was with TrueCrypt as well. Basically I wanted to format the entire drive just as I did the last, but actually started formatting the old drive...

7. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

your data is gone, once you overwrite your encrypted partition their is no turning back...unless you backed it up its gone forever....

8. dantz

dantz Registered Member

You mean you used TrueCrypt to mistakenly encrypt the same disk again, and you interrupted the procedure during the formatting portion of the operation? If so then your old TC headers (including the embedded backups) have been completely overwritten and replaced by new ones. The new headers contain new, totally different encryption keys which cannot be used to decrypt any of your previously-encrypted data (or whatever remains of it).

If the above scenario is correct, and if you don't have an external backup copy of your old headers stored somewhere, then you have no chance of recovering any of your data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.