For Windows XP SP2 users:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinso

pinso Registered Member

It seems hard to understand, i believe in the overall Computing experience. So far i used SP3 for 5 months n i didn't like the response time and the feel i got from my PC.
    After downgrading or upgrading back to SP2 my PC looks good. I only want to have the necessary Hotfixes, a good antivirus and a bakup should suffice me. Also dotnetframwork and a new Windows Installer 3/4 is required if anyone wants to try new software that are coming out.

Too bad WindowsXP/Vista/Win7 does not make a cup of tea/coffee.
    In the end its to each his/her own.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way
    here is a benchmark -> http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/inde...k=view&id=7668&Itemid=39&limit=1&limitstart=0

seems sp3 doesn't slow down games and performance , seems the more frequent issues are lan (internet) problems:thumbd:

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

That's why I still run XP SP-1. When I heard windows updater would force sp-2 on you whether you wanted it or not, I just cut the cord. In all of the intervening time I have not suffered even one bit of malware, to the best of my knowledge. It is a somewhat outdated computer, and a few weeks ago I developed a problem with the video card. Since I have 3 laptops that perform about as well I have not bothered fixing it.

I know it goes against the grain, but I don't consider microsofts intervening security fixes very important, let alone critical. In fact the phrase "critical update" is the biggest example of spam that I have read in this thread. If they are so critical how did my computer with an always on connection manage to survive?

Anyway, I just do my own thing with my computer. Games, word processing, email, photo processing, video and music disc back up and creation. video editing and format converting. Icon creation and windows icon customization. Ebay, craigslist, Flickr, general surfing the internet.

This things don't take magic. The software I've been using for years get's it all done. All of your updating mainly serves to make reliable familiar programs stop working, then, presumably you run out and spend money on new ones.

Well, my laptops are XP sp2, Vista, and W7, so I am struggling a little now. Struggling to do the same things XP SP1 was already doing. That's progress, right?

-HandsOff

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i agree
    sadly for example photoshop cs5 (this version really rocks) doesn't work under xp , i mean you can not install under sp2 , i guess there could be a tweak or trick to force to install it

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I use photoshop CS2. I don't doubt the CS5 has some good tricks, but if history is any indication each new version is more resource intensive than the last.

This may seem off topic, but I think it is pertinent. I think learning better photography skills would serve me much better than having better software for post processing. Don't get me wrong, I love photoshop. It's just that I think CS2 is good enough. If I were an expert in Photoshop CS2 would owning CS5 really make much difference?

The same goes for things like MS Word. Don't you really only need a certain set of editing skills. Once you have them, you are free to write!

When I got my iPod shuffle (when they were still a hot new item) I installed the iTunes software. I love it. I go out of my way not to upgrade it. It does everything I need to do to enjoy my music. Therefore I don't use Windows Media Player. I am not interested in its updates, vulnerabilities, codec packs, Digita Rights Management, or helping to make it a better product.

What gets me in the end is eventually you have to get a new computer and then you enter compatibility hell. Lots of your software is no good and the computer refuses to do what you want it to do.

My four computers have XP sp1, XP sp2, Vista, and W7. That is the same order I would rank their usefulness to me.

-HandsOff

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i agree
    but believe me cs5 is a great tool and have great features for shooter(photographers) ,i hated cs4
    but cs5 it's fast like cs3
    ok let go back and don't go off topic

why do you like more vista then 7?

7. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I might as well conlude my saga with XP here. I did eventually install SP3, all went well. I did my usual heavy duty upgrade routine, uninstalling security software before OS upgrade to quarantee success. Not to mention moving and resizing partitions to make room for that upgrade ..

Last week however series of misshaps led me to install Win7 :D It was a last ditch attempt to solve mysterious system freezes I experienced at that time, which more than likely were not because of SP3 at all. I was frankly suspecting faulty HDD/mobo at that time because these freezes re-occurred even after wiping C: and re-installing Windows XP from scratch.

All I can say is I am a converted man :D (granted I'm still working on this system and how my old games work with it). I am surprised how well Seven runs on this steam-era machine of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.