For Internet operators, what's your security style?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by sweater, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Actually, i am not an internet cafe operator and didn't own even one. :D ...but what makes me interested to ask this question was that internet cafes here in our country blooms and sprouted like mushrooms, you can find them in almost every corner of our city. :cool:

Here's just some of my questions I would like to ask, if you are an internet cafe owner:

1. What measures do you use to protect your pc's from virus, spywares etc..problems? Do you use Deep Freeze? Like the one found here:

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

Coz one of my friend who owned internet cafe uses this program, to protect his pc's.

2. Do you still allow internet users to use and plug-in their portable flash-drive into your pc without ever worrying even if it has viruses in it?

3. Do you think, its valid to blame internet users plugging in their own flash drive into your pc and you experienced virus infections?

Hhhhmmmnn...:cautious: ...I just ask this thing coz to tell you honestly, I am still used to using Internet Cafes coz of its fast broadband connections especially when I want to download some big files on the net using my flash drive. But some net cafe owners go nuts, that they don't allow us net users to plug our flash drive coz of virus infections they've experienced. :argh: ....Shuck!!!:gack:

It's their problem not ours!!! :blink: :eek: ...Grrrr...!!! :mad:

We are innocent, we just love to surf, see the net and download anything that our eyes and ears want. ;)

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Alot these cafes are not maintained well and are a cess pool for numerous infections around the world. The problem gets worse in poorer countries. The person running the cafe is not always so security concious. Deep Freeze be great but i not used a cafe that had any protection like that. It the same for libraries or gyms they block USB access which can be annoying but good security.

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I can certainly confirm that with a trip to Vietnam 5 years back. Emailing was ok but navigating the net was almost impossible due to massive malware infestation. The cafe's in Saigon were plentiful but unfortunately most were basically unuseable for what i'm used too...

snowbound

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Internetcafes in Casablanca(Morocco) are usually protected by Deepfreeze and nod32 or avast.

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The local Kmart store has Internet access. The only thing that I would use it for is for recreational browsing when I don't have anything to buy at the store.

6. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Don't forget the reverse of that though.

Do you really want to stick your USB key in a potentially highly contaminated system (Viruses/Malware) and then drag it home and plug it into your machine?

I mean in a pinch, ok.. but you better have some good defenses on your home PC, not someone who only runs a firewall figuring thats all you'll need, since you've just brought "the net" around the back entrance.

And yes, I'm sure everyone in this forum would be smart enough to check their USB Keys after having them so exposed, but some could look at USB blocking as a mutual protection. The Operators are preventing you from infecting them, and they are preventing themselves from infecting you.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I got your point, and its what the real world can possibly offer that we are in this virtual system.:D

But that's a natural thing. We can, I mean, I can take risks by that coz sometimes its the only way and means that we can to have to use the net and to download something. Of course, as long as my pc is well protected and I know what to do to prevent possible infections to happen then it'll be ok. :cautious:

If you visit our country, then you'll have a "clearer idea" of what really I mean.

By the way, are you an intenet cafe owner? coz you talked like you're one of them? :rolleyes: :cool:

8. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

No, I'm not an operator.

I'm just trying to look at the scenario from both sides. I love playing Devil's Advocate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.