Folders' display colour changed to red

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

$NtServicePackUninstall$ and all other folders in C:\WINDOWS\ that begin and end with "$" used to be listed in blue text in Windows Explorer, while other files were in black text. Now they're in red text, as are their contents.

I've found one other folder that's "turned red," C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache AND all of its contents. I don't remember it being blue previously, so it may have changed from black.

I noticed the change after the destructive recovery (Nov. 27, 2003), but don't know if it happened during the recovery or at some time later. It was at least a week and a half to two weeks ago.

I kept hoping it would "heal itself," and don't know where to begin reading to find out what might cause this display change, or what it might be trying to tell me. I have not changed font or theme colour settings.

Does anybody know why this might have occurred, or if it matters? mj

2. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Re: illustration

I'm adding this in hopes it will trigger an idea for someone. mj

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Re:display colour change resolved

Thanks to yokenny, found that the files were red because of a setting in Windows Explorer >> Tools >> Folder Options >> View. After unchecking the box that says "Show encrypted or compreessed NTFS files in color," was back to normal black display text. :D

Can only figure the box became checked during the latest recovery, since the red never showed before and there were compressed files. It's exciting when the same cds give different default settings from one time to the next. :doubt: mj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.