Folder options view problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hankach, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hankach

hankach Registered Member

Hi all,

I created a folder in my documents and hide it from its properties, then under view tab of folder options and clicked "do not show hidden files and folders " and my file disappeared, trying to bring it back i clicked "show hidden files and folders" clicked apply then ok , but my folder is still hidden and still on the left side of my documents reads 20 files (plus one hidden).
    I also tried to check back "do not show hidden files and folders" , clicked apply then ok but after reopening the view tab still the "show hidden files and folders " is clicked ?

Does any one know what is happening and how can i show my hidden file back ??

Many thanks !

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try also unchecking Hide proteced operating system files (Recommended). The hidden files might be Thumbs.db, which will not be shown even if you unhide other folders / files.
    Another option, right-click the relevant folder, under Atrributes, untick Hidden.
    Another option, command line, attrib -h relevant target files / folders.
    Mrk

3. hankach

I just typed the folder name in the address bar and opened it, then i unchecked the hidden attribute and shown it back in that folder , but the strange thin is that even if i click the dont show folders and click apply, after i reenter the view tab i see the show hidden folders and files checked !o_O

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try the three things I've written.
    Mrk

5. hankach

Dear Mrk,

I deleted that empty file i created and hide it, but i am not succeeding to type that command in DOS can you tell me for example since i see in my documents 25 objects (plus 1 hidden) how to show that hidden file although i unchecked what you told me and followed your instructions yet there still is a folder hidden and which i dont know !

Thank you

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I had an exact same problem probably originating from malware i run on my machine and after a thorough search via Google found this solution. This is for XP!

It's likely a few registry entries that's been changed to keep you from seeing them. Mine was System Volume Information & Local Settings under my username that disappeared plus some other programs that i had set "hidden" before.

You can try this:

Copy/Paste the text below into notepad and "Save As Type" all files then name it anything .reg and merge it to the registry. This simple reg file returned again all those items so they could be seen again that was hidden.

Hope it helps.

Regards EASTER

7. hankach

Does it work with win 2000 too ?

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

W2K and XP are effectively identical in almost all essentials,
    there are mostly just minor differences in the GUI

and a few minor functional changes like the registry editors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=141377
    for instance regedt32 isnt in XP (more accurately it is, but just starts regedit :p )

odds are great that registry entry is applicable to both

NT / W2K (all versions) / XP pro / W2K3
    all have more in common than they have differences
    its incremental so W2K3 has more differences to NT than say W2K to XP
    W2K3 has considerably more commandline "tools" (server\enterprise oriented),
    and XP home has alot of functionality not deemed suitable to end users removed
    (no RAID\dynamic disks, no gpedit ect)

there are actually very few "registry tweaks" that dont migrate well
    at least from one version to its next chronological variant

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  9. hankach

So shall i go ahead and edit those registry entries ? no harm for the registry ?

10. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

well you have remote notation of them here so you can always change them back manually

or if something goes horribly amiss and it fails to boot (probability next to zero) you reboot with F8 like your going to safe mode but instead select "last known good" which replaces the registry located in the %systemroot%\Windows\System32\Config
    with its backup in
    %systemroot%\Windows\Repair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.