Flyswat detected!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mr. Ferley, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Ferley

Mr. Ferley Guest

Hi Javacool,

I did a scan with Spycop 5.0 and received the warning that Spywareblaster contained the advertiser spy: flyswat. I am sure it is just a false postive, but wasn't sure what to make out of it.

Love your programs by the way. Thanks

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That is certainly a false-positive - and a very odd one at that. :rolleyes:

If you get a chance, the makers of Spycop might want to know about the false-positive (I don't have or use the program, and I can't seem to find an e-mail address to contact them at.)

Thanks,

-Javacool

3. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Use both programs here - no false positive noted after SpyCop scan.

Please confirm that your SpyCop database is dated 10-29-2002 and contains detection of 316+ spy programs and verify if you got the result from a 'full' SpyCop scan or a 'quick' SpyCop scan.

4. Mr. Ferley

Mr. Ferley Guest

Hi,

I doubled checked my settings and they are the same that you mentioned. Also, I ran a full scan when flyswat was detected. Ghost, after seeing your post I scanned just the spywareblaster folder and got the same results. By the way my spywareblaster database is 11/19/02, so everything seems updated. Also run Spybot S&D don't know if that would have caught flyswat.

Ghost, after reading your post I feel a little more concerned; I wonder if something I installed could have altered the program. Maybe I will uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks

5. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Is anyone else who's using both programs seeing this?

Mr. Ferley - I'd appreciate a screenshot of SpyCop's results page, showing the alert, if you can do that.

Javacool - SpyCop's support email address is support@spycop.com which is available from this page: http://spycop.com/faq.htm#Technical Support or from within the program itself.

6. javacool

You don't need to worry about something altering the SpywareBlaster file installed on your PC (or, at least, in this case) - I have been able to duplicate this detection, and thus am sure it is a false positive.

I have contacted the makers of SpyCop, and am awaiting a response (will keep you posted).

Regards,

-Javacool

7. javacool

I have been informed that the "safe files list" in the SpyCop database has been updated so SpywareBlaster is no longer falsely detected. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

8. Mr. Ferley

Mr. Ferley Guest

Good news :D, Javacool- thanks for getting that cleared up.

By the way thanks Ghost for helping out. ;)

9. Janet

Janet Guest

:'( I installed Spyware Blaster a couple of days ago but have still been getting spyware even though I have updated it. So far, I have had my drivers to my printer corrupted, my scanner [Smart Panel] emptied and my Internet Explorer taken over. I have WinXP so I did a restore, re-installed Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster but this stuff is happening. :'( I am at ends wit as some of this stuff is coming in as cookies even though I have cookies [3rd party disallowed]. Any suggestions? I discovered it was ezula that corrupted my printer yet SpywareBlaster did not pick it up .... how come?

10. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Spywareblaster will only protect you against spyware in its database that gets installed in one particular way.

It does that very well.

It's however no replacement for common sense, tightening your IE security settings, watching what you download, and will also not do away will the need for running SpyBot or Ad-Aware on a regular basis.

Just think of it as one extra layer of protection.

11. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Unless my copy of the SpyCop program is mal-functioning, the database hasn't been updated since the 29th of Oct. (I just checked to see if there were any updates for SC and there aren't).

I have run numerous scans with SpyCop since this question first came up (I use Spyware Blaster, too) and never have received a warning about S_B.

The only thing I can think of (aside from the the remaining fact that I'm still not seeing a SC database update here) is:

MF - Did you have Spyware Blaster open in the Taskbar (running) when you ran SC and got the warning? That's the only thing I didn't try.

The only time I have S_B open (running) is when I know there's an update (there's really no reason to have it open all the time, correct?).

Just trying for some clarification here.

12. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Well, I just up-dated SC to version 5.2 and NOW I get the false positive on JC's program (I've already emailed them, so look for that to be fixed - again? - real soon).

I did notice, however, that the scan time for a 'complete' scan has been reduced a lot (from about 16 minutes to eight) - so that part is a difinite improvement.

13. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Problem solved.

14. javacool

Yes, it appears as though the false-positive is fixed in the new SpyCop 5.2 database. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.