Flaw In Chrome May Leave Users' Personal Information At Risk

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Thanks Ron!

I've opened those files under Linux using Office writer and there is no plain text revealing either my user name or passwords that I can find.

Under Windows, I can see my user name in plain text but not the password; it's MD5 encrypted.

Maybe it's only non-ssl sites that store plain text login passwords in these files? Otherwise I don't see the issue.

EDIT

I re-logged back into Wilders under Linux and under "last tabs" and "last session" my user-name wat0114 is revealed in plain text, but the password, like in Windows, is MD5 encrypted.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Taking another in depth look, I once again can't find evidence of personally identifiable information being exposed in the Chrome files located in the user data directories. That said, it's probably incumbent upon users of any browser to delete private data, including cookies, from their browser upon closing.

As for NSA and PRISM, until I see evidence it's being used by Google, I will stick with Chrome because it offers the most secure browser platform, especially on the Linux O/S.

EDIT

okay, it's in the file called "login data". If the options under Settings is enabled to retain form data and passwords, the plain text info - the password included - will be saved in that file. Keep those checkboxes cleared and the plain text personal info will not show there.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

And how is this different in other browsers, including Firefox?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.