Flashing green ADSL light on router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by stapp, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Netgear DG834G wired into PC, and used wirelessly by laptops.

Recently started having real problems loading pages etc on all browsers and situations (which laptops also have.)

Looked at router and a green light is flashing non stop. I ignored this at first as I thought it was the internet flashing and meant it was transferring info.

However I seen now it is actually the ADSL light which is flashing and I understand this means a failure to achieve active sync.

I had already phoned my ISP (I don't want to talk about it!) They are supposed to be testing the line in the next 48 hours, however I didn't mention the ADSL light to them because at that time I didn't realise that was the issue.

What steps can I take to try and help myself with this? I cannot try a new filter until I get one tomorrow. Already tried turning off router for a few minutes.

2. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

You are right on ADSL light flashing - it can't connect properly.

In these cases the cause is usually on the ISP side, but you can maybe speed things up a little by giving them your log info, if your modem haves any. The log may tell you why it keeps disconnecting. I'd go with broken phone line if I had to guess.

Can you borrow a ADSL modem from someone to verify it isn't only your modem which does that?

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

can you check its logs and or stats in case it offers more clues?

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Never had to look in the logs before so hope these figures mean more to you than they do to me.

Things like line attenuation 45.5

noise 7.3

also LCP down appears quite a lot.

Got a filter from a neighbour (have got nice neighbours!) turned off router and pc, took plug out of the wall along with filter and line into it from pc, then turned it back on with new filter after 10 minutes. ADSL light still flashes :'(

Basically what happens when I open my browser is sometimes a page will load straight away, other times it won't load at all, other times a page will load..eventually, all in the same browsing session. Sometimes if I open another tab for the same site it will 'make' it open. What seems to be worse sometimes is doing a search in google, it's as if it's having to lookup all the pages it takes so long.

It's driving me mad. I am going to try and see if I can borrow a router tomorrow and see if that does the same.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

you can see what all those stats mean
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

but that attenuation is high, how far is the exchange? Did you check if your ISP has users forums where you can ask more questions?

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I live about 2 miles from the exchange. I am with TalkTalk (formally Tiscali) Never had a problem before with my connection. I have looked at their forums but most of the posts are complaints instead of info:D

As I said, it's not an area of computing I have ever done much with as, although my speed is moderate (2-3MB) I have never had a problem. So after reading up on google (slowly due to my present connection!) I did ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew. It said it was renewed and there didn't seem to be anything alarming I could see in the cmd window.

But in the event viewer I see one or two event Id 1002

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 22/05/2011
    Time: 09:29:56
    User: N/A
    Computer: ****
    Description:
    The IP address lease 192.168.0.2 for the Network Card with network address 00110**** has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

I just get the feeling that perhaps either it's an phone exchange error or perhaps some kind of mix up with ''addresses'' on my computer.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ stapp

Frequent disconnects seem to be the trading mark of TT & T :( I know numbers of people who do & have experienced the same problems, on & off for years !

Have you tried the non wireless option & see how that compares ?

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have been with them for years and never had a problem. I don't seem to get disconnected, instead it seems to be more a problem of getting connected to web addresses at the moment..

I am wired from the router into this pc. The laptops connect wirelessly.

9. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

One suggestion, maybe a long-shot, but worth to check anyway:

Is your modem's MAC address configured properly? I just remembered having a similar problem few years ago, where my internet couldn't keep the sync. It turned out that my D-link's MAC was all zeros. Technical support told me that someone else in the area had the same MAC too, so the modems were competing for the line all the time.

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thank you for all the helpful input so far, I really appreciate it as this is an area of computing I haven't dealt with before.

I will get more filters tomorrow for the other phone just in case.

Thank you for the manual, by the way my download speed to get it was around 58KB/s... pitifully slow. That's another part of the problem. I seem to have numbers in all the right places as far as I can see. (no 0.0.0.0.) I 'think' the settings look right according to what it says in the manual.

Here is what it shows when I do config /all.

Attached Files:

• rt1.JPG
      rt1.JPG
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
  12. timcan

timcan Registered Member

@stapp

Is there a phone line "service box" mounted outside on your house? You can connect the modem/router directly into it.If the modem will not sync there it would be a good indication it's a problem on your isp side.
    hope that helps.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I disconnected all phone lines and phones in the house. Unplugged all pc equipment and router. Left it for 15 minutes and plugged things back in.

The ADSL light was a steady green As soon as I went on the internet and started loading pages it started flashing again and same slow page loading problem is still there.

Hope to hear from ISP today.

14. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Try another router.

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Update..

Tech support said they were going to look at things at the exchange. Result is I can now surf normally again. Download speed is more or less what it was before.

Strange thing is the ADSL light still flashes, but it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

May get a new router when I see one in a sale...just in case!

Thanks for all the replies and tips, much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.