FlashGet - Is it spyware ? & if so, safe usage of it ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Defenestration, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I've tried several download managers and generally tend to use Firefox with the DownThemAll! extension. However, occassionally DTA doesn't allow pause/resume with some downloads and doesn't always have high download speeds. Because of this, I sometimes use another download manager and have found FlashGet to be the best of the bunch IMO (although still not perfect). The problem is that, while the FlashGet website (and just about every download website) states it is free from spyware/malware/etc., FlashGet appears to connect to other "unknown" I.P. addreses on a random interval during a download (eg. every 10-20 minutes). Some of the IP addresses I've noticed it connecting to are:

59.151.31.139 Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
    60.28.197.234 Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
    195.122.131.10 Terraspace
    195.122.131.11 Terraspace

To counteract this possible spying, I simply use my firewall to limit FlashGet to connecting to the IP's of th4 servers I actually wish to download from.

Am I leaving myself open to data leaks (ie. FG sending my data to these P addresses) or possible attacks ?

2. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

If you are not using Vista, find and download version 1.73.128.

The newer version has BitTorrent and eMule support. FlashGet still makes connections with remote servers (this is probably what you have noticed) even when instructed (by you) not to. I am not impressed at all with the new versions. They still seem very buggy to me. Hence my recommendation of an older version.

To answer your question, there is no spyware in FlashGet.

3. Defenestration

This is the version I'm using and it also shows un-authorized connections.

I tried the latest version of FG, but it also showed unauthorized connections.

I suppose I'm wondering if I block any unknown connections with my firewall, is it safe to use ?

As with a lot of software that I regularly use, I am compelled to write my own version.

Speaking of which, I have written a system cleaner app which I'm currently fine-tuning. I also have other software solutions in the pipeline. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who would like to become a beta-tester or forum mod -but please don't be offended if you aren't chosen!

I am also very interested in hearing from anyone who is good with graphic/logo/icon design. A free lifetime licence for all products is on offer, for anyone interested

The system cleaner will have a free/donation version and a paid/registered version. I am not currently sure of the licensing process, alhough to support future development, it will probably be time or version based.

I know I have complained abouty spamming myself in the past, but I would hope this is not seen as spamming. However, any mods feel free to move/edit/delete my post (although I'd be grateful if you let me know)

FYI...

- my website will be up soon.
    - there will be a forum (which I will frequent on a regular basis)
    - I will listen to customers requests/suggestions/bug reports
    - all products will be as small/fast/efficient as possible (given C++ as the programming language)

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The Case of the Flashget Trojan Download, Regardless of who was to blame, it happened.

Article

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Turn off the file mirror check in the options.

6. Defenestration

This is not what I was talking about, but thanks for the info.

I have file mirrors disabled, and any other option which might check (ie. auto-updates), but FlashGet will still try to connect to unauthorized IP addresses periodically during a download.

I am currently using it for specific downloads, but limit it to connecting to the IP addresses needed for the download.

7. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

59.151.31.139 Beijing China
    60.28.197.234 Tianjin China
    195.122.131.10 Germany
    195.122.131.11 Germany

Flashget belongs to a new chinese company since the author sell it.

8. krypton_harsh

krypton_harsh Registered Member

Try flashget 1.90 its almost bug free and shows goo vista compatiblility
    and also good support for torrent and emule files

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

i've used the classic version of flashget for a long time now with no issues. As far as i'm concerned its a safe app that works well.

10. oldmystic

oldmystic Registered Member

Even though I've uninstalled FlashGet in Add & Remove Programs and unchecked it from my firewall, the Search Companion still shows it as installed in Program Files, including a 51.2 kb folder containing Config, FG Mule, FG Update, etc. along with DMP & RPT files and their logo. I've scanned all this with AVG & no threats were found. I know that programs, when removed, will often leave behind traces, but this looks like the entire program was left in. Is there a safe way to remove it now that it's no longer in Add & Remove or All Programs menus? Or should I not worry?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 (2002)
    Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    Default Browser, Firefox
    Dialup in the US

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

A 51kb folder is hardly the entire program. :rolleyes: What you've described can only be classified as "traces", and is certainly safe to delete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.