Flash

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Beavenburt, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Is anyone else getting very high % cpu when watching flash videos online? I had this problem a couple of years ago but since flash 9 all seemed to be fine and it ran very nicely. But is again now maxing my cpu with flash 10. Running in terminal shows no errors. This is not localised to one distro either, it happens on all the distros i've tried lately. I guess i'll have to live with it. I hate flash!!

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Flash 10 works via nsplugin wrapper in case you are on x64. The high CPU is video card dependent, on my nvidia machines, the CPU usage is lower as compared to the Intel graphic laptops and ATI desktops I have. Try turning off compiz to see if you get any improvement.

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It's probably my old card. I don't run compiz and run flashblock and adblock to filter out the ads and whatnot. Funnily enough I recently purchased a second hand radeon which is supposed to totally outperform the prehistoric nvidia I was using, though I may add the radeon is still a **** card. However I had better flash performance with the old nvidia? Weird. o_O

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's because GPU accelerated flash has only been enabled on ATI cards with this months 10.6 update. If I were you, I'd close your browsers, run the flash uninstaller, then install it again. The 10.6 drivers can be found on here.

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I shelved my costly dual GPU ATI 4850 as it coulnd't even do decent HD movies and replaced it with a half cost nvidia 8400GS which does a swell job with movies via VDPAU.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

IIRC, hardware acceleration isn't supported in Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.