Flash - the present day Bogey man

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

We all need Flash to see video`s etc. Nothing wrong in that and Adobe provide it in abundance. I have more Adobe records on my PC than anything else, I have`nt a clue where they all came from.

BUT, on surfing the net, I find that Flash has become the number one suspect for all things evil.
    There is a widespread Internet paranoia about the prospective tragedies of having Flash, using it, seeing it or even mentioning it. The topic has reached the stage of boring me to tears.
    Flash seems to be the present day Bogey man for all evil.

I have NoScript, ABP and Flashkiller, all of which put the boot in on all forms of Flash. NoScript has a check box of "Forbid Adobe(R)Flash(R).

Having said all that and being far from happy with the matter, I have tried to install Adobe Flash Player on my system. I have done it 6 times via Adobe and Firefox Add-ons and it is definitely there together with 6 lovely icons, but the needed Plugin is NOT. The Plugin does not appear to like my Firefox and without it I am repeatedly told that Flash is useless. In fact some sites tell me it is missing. Without this Plugin, my Adobe Flash is like some Mary Celeste wallowing about rudderless on my system.

I also get told that Javascript is not enabled - my Firefox>Tools>Content shows it is enabled.

How can I possibly persuade Adobe Flash to simply settle nicely into my PC, install it`s dear little Plugin and go to work without all this nonsense and blocking by security systems ? Surely life should not be this hard ? I would also like to know why some sites tell me Javascript is not enabled when it is.

My Firefox version is 3.6.6 - Adobe Flash Player version 10,1,53,64.

Please my dear friends, be kind to me, I am running out of Librium pills. I have never had such trouble with a download in my entire life and I ain't getting any younger.

John Bull

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Just so I can get this right, you've tried to install Flash both from Adobe's website and through the add-on repository at Mozilla? Let me ask you a really stupid question John, and forgive me, but perhaps the websites that are telling you javascript is off, is because you haven't allowed their script within NoScript? And, with that, did you make sure to allow Adobe to run their script within NoScript as well?

3. John Bull

Thanks dw.

See my NoScript panels for Embeddings and Advanced :-
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/NoScript1.jpg
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/NoScript2.jpg

A few years ago before countless updates on everything, a new processor, Motherboard repair and no security other than AV + Firewall everything worked fine.

I have an Adobe Settings Manager icon on my Desktop, it should tell me what sites have been visited so I can block or allow them. The list is blank - not working, this was also OK before :-
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/AdobeSettings.jpg
    The fact that this is not working makes me pretty convinced that Flash is out also.

I get some sites where the video box is just black with nowhere to go - dead, others are OK and the video plays.
    On a site I want to see, I tell NoScript to allow it fully using the Options bar at the bottom of the screen.

John B

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Are you saying Flash works on some websites but not others? Or are these websites using maybe HTML5? Also, I want to make absolutely sure I understood you, when you went to Adobe's website to install Flash, you allowed them in NoScript, before the install process began? If you did, and the install SHOULD have worked, I'm not sure what else to say, especially if 6 attempts didn't go through.

5. culla

culla Registered Member

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

7. culla

culla Registered Member

nah its the same issue just a different title :D

8. John Bull

Dear Culla,

It is NOT another thread duplication and it is NOT my video problem.

My description refers to a DOWNLOAD problem - not being able to install Flash and a missing Plugin.

Nothing wrong in having a separate thread on that.

Oh by the way : NAH, it ain`t the same issue and different titles are not merely essential but self explanatory.

John B

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  9. John Bull

Dw, your reply summarises my confusion on this Flash matter. Quite honestly I don`t know what I did to download this program 6 times with no result. I have never had this trouble before.

I have FF, Sandboxie, NoScript, ABP etc. and they ll have restrictions on Flash and Javascript in some form or other.

So, I am going to disable all the restrictive programs I have and open FF without SBxie, in a full frontal, making sure it likes Flash and JS, follow what all the very helpful posters have said, plus an immaculate set of instructions from GlobalForce by PM and start from scratch. Watch-out Adobe Flash, I`m a comin`.

I will post the results after the battle.
    Thanks to you all

John B

10. culla

culla Registered Member

ok we'll see if gb has pm'd you the fix i reckon it will fix your video problem too hence same issue different title no offence meant :D

11. John Bull

As suggested, all replies after Culla post No.10 have been diverted to thread entitled "Video gone" raised on 7th July 10.

My last post on this subject is dated 23rd July 10.

John B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.