flash problem from other day

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    you know the other day i told you about the flash player old versions still being there well when i open my files i made with flash professinal at college they open in flash player 7 and not 9.
    i just updated to flash player 9 but its not in program files.
    so the old versions must still be installed but it forgot to add the add/remove programs entrie. so now i cant uninstall the old version and the new version hasnt fully installed.
    it installed shockwave player with works in firefox and opera but not in IE7 yet.
    i want flash player 9 so i can watch the files i created at college.
    but i only hae flash player 7
    i hate all this abode rubbish.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. Uninstalling asks for a CD... I got this thingy that does not work. I close everything i can think of that could use flash. ARGH!
    Maybe Safe Mode?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have no idea.
    i just used that tool and went to open the files that i made at college and it opened in flash player 7.
    wtf shouldnt it uninstalled it?

ok i went to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\
    and there was a file called FlashUtil9b
    adobe flash helper 9.0 r28 so i clicked on it and it said a newer version of flash is avaliable updating now.
    then it said reboot to your computer to use the new flash player
    lodore

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Did you close the browser and everything using flash (that you could think of)?
    If so, yep, you're in the same boat as i... Clueless and pissed of!

edit: by the way, this is secunia' advisor fault for noticing something i didn't

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok i done what i said above aka clicked on the adobe 9.0 helped located in the system32 macromedia folder it updated i restared the pc and now ive got the lastest version installed.

do this
    go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\
    and there was a file called FlashUtil9b
    adobe flash helper 9.0 r28
    if so click on it and let it update when it says its done reboot like it says and it should then be running perfectly.
    let me know how you get on.

ffs i still have flash player 7 installed when i try and open my files i made at college adobe should uninstall the old versions.
    this is really annoying!
    i just want my flash files to open in flash player 9.
    but they open fine in flash player 7 but flash player 9 wont open but the secirtuy advisor says its installed fine.]
    it seems ive got the lastest activex control flash player 9 but the flash player which i use to open the files i created
    at college open in flash player 7.
    is there two flash player versions?
    one for browsers and one for the files on your pc? like the flash files i made at college in flash professinal?
    all i want to do is update the player i use for opening the flash files i created called .fla files which atm they open in flash player 7 and i want flash player 9 for them.
    how can i find out where that flash player 7 file is located?
    also i told them to open in internet explorer 7 and they work but i still have flash player 7 installed on my pc which i want updated to 9.
    lodore

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OK, now, i wasn't seing that file FlashUtil9b. BUT, i got this utility that turns Flash On and OFF. OFF- Uninstall_flash_player util. - FlashUtil9b now appears. Run it and installed ok, APPARENTLY! Now Add-remove still lists the old version!:p
    I'm rebooting to see what happens - cross my fingers

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OK, Secunia says ok, except Adobe Reader: Uninstalling... done! Hello Foxit Reader.
    Macromedia Flash Player 7.0.19.0 is still listed on the Add-Remove (or MyUninstaller) along with Adobe Flash Player ActiveX :)o ) 9. o_O

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

foxitreader is alsome.
    i used to hate the adobe reader since it always said cant finish update due to files missing etc.
    so you have got flash player 7 on the add/remove list as well?
    did you have to turn flash on and off to get that?
    lodore

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I always uninstall old versions before installing the new versions.
    But I agree: Flash/Shockwave, Java and other browser related technologies are a pain in the a$$.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes they are Lucas. Is it that hard to make something update with no pain, or uninstalled easy without asking some CD that i never heard of!?

lodore: I had to use that util. to turn Flash off so i could uninstall. Macromedia still listed, but that file FlashUtil9b now appeared, and i executed it. 9 now appears, but i don't get it. What's Macromedia 7 doing there? Are they two different things?:blink:

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have no idea.
    i know that when i go open with with the files i made at college i can open it in flash 7 player but not flash 9 player.
    if i open the files in internet explorer they work fine since they use the flash 9 player active x control.
    so is it better to just uninstall flash player 7 and use internet explorer to view my flash files i made?
    even thou internet explorer has to ask me if i want to run active content but i know there safe because i made them lol.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.