Flash drives and encryption ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by user006, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user006

user006 Registered Member

Hi all I'm new here I appreciate if someone can answer my questions.

1.What is the preferred method of wiping a flash drive securely if there has been unencrypted data present on it in the past is it even possible without destroying the device with a hammer?

2.I read in the truecrypt documentation that "its not recommended to use a flashdrive(solidstate) to store a encrypted truecrypt volume" because of wear leveling and possibly recoverable old Tc volume headers and using it to decrypt a volume if the password was changed etc.Does this effect both types of Tc containers ?

Thx

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Welcome to the forums :).

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2256804

3. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

Sadly, the last comment in the anandtech link is 100% true. You can never be sure that a SSD is completely erased. Your only option is to physically destroy it.

4. user006

user006 Registered Member

Whats safer having a truecrypt encrypted whole mechanical hardrive or flash usb stick if they are both out of the box new ?

Is it advisable to make a new truecrypt volume every time new data is added to a hidden truecrypt volume due to it changing the sectors and making the hidden volume more detectable ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.