Flash Drive Not Recognized by Windows 8 as Containing Bootable System

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by RTM, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTM

RTM Registered Member

Just downloaded the trial version of B&R 2012 and used the Boot Media Builder to create a supposedly bootable flash drive. All went without a problem EXCEPT my Acer Iconia W510 tablet doesn't recognize the flash drive as containing a bootable system. I have the BIOS set up to boot first from the USB flash drive, then from the system drive. On bootup I see a lot of activity (flashing LED) on the flash drive, but then the system goes on to boot from the system drive.

The system does recognize a bootable system written to this flash drive by another backup/recovery utility. When I bring up Windows 8 to look at the contents of the flash drive written by B&R 2012 it seems to contain a DOS system. I'm assuming the bootloader written by B&R 2012 is not valid for Windows 8. Any suggestions anyone?

2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Registered Member

Can only say a "me too". I created a recovery disk and also a recovery thumb drive.

Neither drive appears to boot off of in my bios (HP p6-2326s, ami bios) under
    UEFI Boot Devices. Since I'm windows 8 with secure boot, legacy devices are disabled. Checking out the recovery disk it does not have an efi directory..the disk is clearly not bootable under efi devices then...my windows 8 media made with windows 8 has an EFI directory on it...this makes the DVD or USB drive appear under UEFI
    devices in the BIOS to boot of.

I'm thinking maybe I should turn on legacy mode in my bios and then the device will be seen to boot off ? But this version of B&R says its for Windows 8..thought they a recovery disk that appears in a BIOS's UEFI boot device list?

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

How exactly did you create the bootable flash drive?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It won't support EFI boot. Turn off secure and enable Legacy.

Only windows 8 supports that on win8 machines.

The Linux foundation have applied for their pre bootloader to be signed. When they get that - they will make it available for all.

If you have the paid version of paragon - you should re able to make winpe4 boot media, which will boot fine.

5. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Registered Member

My recovery disk was made with the B&R program saying make backup

Yes, I turned on legacy boot (which required secure boot off) ..it showed the cdrom/dvd atapi drive..I then booted the paragon recovery disk. I do not recall if the usb/thumb drive was listed as a legacy boot source.

Whether my windows 8 works with legacy boot I do not know..I only booted
    the recovery disk and was happy with that.

I thought the signing of the pre boot loader was only needed if secure boot
    was enabled. With secure boot off can't the kind Paragon folks create an EFI recovery disk?

Also , I did not spend a lot of time in the recovery program.. can the program partition my drive like it was?

Thanks for all the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.