Fix for the PC Cillin 2007 CPU/Memory problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by risl, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. risl

risl Registered Member

Hello,

I don't know if this works for you, but it did solve my problem. The high CPU/memory utilization was caused by Spybot SD's immunization feature and PC Cillin's anti-spyware.

Open the Spybot Search and Destroy program by clicking Start > Programs or All Programs > Spybot – Search & Destroy > Spybot – Search & Destroy.

Note: If you have already uninstalled Spybot from your computer, you need to install it again before proceeding.

Click Immunize on the left menu.

Click Undo. A message appears saying "All bad products are now allowed again".

Close the Spybot window and any other open programs.

Double-click My Computer on your Desktop.

Double-click Local Disk.

Go to the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007 folder.

Delete the usrwl.dat file.

Restart your computer.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/consumer/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1033903&id=EN-1033903

Hope this helps :)

2. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Thanks risl, :)
    I was going to uninstall 07 and go back to 06 because it was driving me insane...
    I had looked at their 'support portal' but a search for PcScnSrv.exe produced no results other than the 5 that appear whatever you type, even a search for 'stupid bastards' produced the same 5 entries... , and the 'show all' was no better.
    I also had to disable all protection in spyware blaster to get PcScnSrv.exe working at reasonable cpu levels :-(

Thanks again, argus :)

3. feddup

feddup Registered Member

antispyware or IS suite?

Are these problems with TM's internet security suite or their antispyware? I was soon going to install IS2007 and would like to know about any potential bumps in the road. I don't use spybot but do use spywareblaster.

4. argus tuft

the problems are with the suite. I don't know if removing spywareblasters protection was necessary,but thought it worth a try. I have just contacted support, and got an email saying remove all other security products first, then un/reinstall TM07, then stuff around with services. trying this now

5. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Please keep us informed on the developments. Trend Micro's not too popular at Wilders but a few still like it. My present license doesn't run out for another month but at that point I'll install IS2007. It's nice to know of issues ahead of time.

6. argus tuft

Hi feddup,
    well, after uninstalling everything else, uninstalling Tm07, running the windows install cleanup thingy, and changing various services to automatic startup, I re-installed TM07 and its running much better. PcScnSrv.exe still hogs a bit at startup, but it is a huge improvement, and running well now.
    At the moment the main problem is that their 'online support' panel keeps crashing?? which is quite handy.
    I'm waiting for a reply about whether spyware blasters protection will cause conflicts as well, at the moment I've got no other security apps (r/t) installed, which I'm not thrilled about. I'm about to cautiously start re-installing things, and see how it goes...

7. feddup

feddup Registered Member

nice info

Thanks for the information. Trend micro sometimes puts out newer builds. i wonder if there will be one for IS2007? hpefully bugs will get worked out.

8. Chawoobie

Chawoobie Registered Member

There is a 15.3 beta version in testing now. I downloaded and installed it and ran their beta tests. I believe they are looking at releasing sometime in late January. The solution for the pcscnsrv.exe slowness seems to work. Did it on my computer and there was a noticeable improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.