Fix for "No Internet Access" warning in Win7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Veazer, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veazer

Veazer Registered Member

After installing Avast, I noticed that Windows 7 couldn't detect when there was an internet connection any longer and I was perpetually warned of "No Internet Access" and a little yellow icon on the wireless icon in the tray.

After a little googling I found THIS demonstrating how Win7 checks for connectivity. After a little testing i got the problem solved.

To get to the point, go to Realtime Shields > Web Shield > Expert Settings > Exclusions and add *.msftncsi.com/* to the list of 'URLs to exclude' and the problem will go away. Windows 7 uses this domain to check for Internet connections.

I've heard other AV software can do the same, it might be good to add this info to any AV setup guides here.

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Hi,

I am running Avast at the moment all settings on max and no issues with internet connection at all, running windows 7 professional 64bit.

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Which Firewall are you running?

4. Veazer

Veazer Registered Member

I'm just using the standard Win7 firewall. i've noticed this issue on a lot of Win7 installs, both Home Premium and Professional (SP1-U). It wasn't until recently I finally made the connection that the problem started right after Avast was added.

It sounds like others have had the similar issues with links scanners in AV:
    http://windowsfixup.com/2009/08/windows-7-no-internet-access-with-yellow-warning-icon/

I don't know why it would affect some users but not all.

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I've had this problem as well using Avast. I tried your workaround, but it did not fix the issue for me.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I used to get this A LOT with Vista SP1. The consensus was that it was an OS bug or the NIC driver. I have not had the issue with Windows 7 so if it were me at this point I would look for newer/different NIC drivers and see if that helps.

7. Veazer

Veazer Registered Member

Does disabling the web shield fix the problem? Also, try "refreshing" the connection between fixes (unplug and re-plug, toggle wifi, etc.)

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Nah no dice here. Funny thing is if I uninstall Avast, all is well. Heh. Its ok, was just hoping it would fix the problem. I just hide the network icon and it does not bother me anymore. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.