Five arrested for impersonating the IRS, listen to a recorded scam in progress

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, May 25, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Jag0830

Jag0830 Registered Member

The "IRS" called me a few days ago and went on that I owed $8000.00 and I knew it was a scam so I played along to see what they would say.. They told me I had a warrant out for my arrest and I had to pay them this money immediately or I would be arrested.. I acted like I was so scared and nervous and asked them what I needed to do and they then told me I could go to Target and buy $8000.00 worth of gift cards.. I was like really? Of course I hung up right after that but it makes me sick to my stomach that people fall for this scam! How do these people live with themselves? I just wish I could be there when Karma gets them back!! So awful

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Sad.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

6. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I thought (hoped) this would also involve the scams arising from those fake scareware popups--your computer is infected, your computer is malfunctioning, etc. The actual dollar amount would actually be far higher, then. Sorry, but as long as one method to defraud people is shut down, two more pop up. And they often target the elderly who may still have a superstitious awe of the computer and Internet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.