FirstDefense Rescue installation problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nexstar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I have just installed FDR on a new PC for someone and I noticed that it failed to install to the MBR correctly. When I rebooted, the PC would hang with a flashing cursor just before the Windows loading logo. The only way out was to boot into the recovery console and issue a fixmbr and fixboot instruction.

Back in Windows, I looked at the FDR log (version 3.1.212) and there was an error:

Error 0083 Error - Pre-boot Check

The PC is brand new with a freshly installed Windows XP Pro SP2, 500GB SATA drive, Intel dual core 3GHZ cpu, 2GB Corsair RAM, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard.

I disabled the AVG antivirus and there was not much else installed at that point.

Anybody come across this? I've submitted a support ticket at HDS but it may be a while before I hear back.

Graham

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Graham.

Unless something in Rescue is radically different, FDISR no longer installs in the MBR, but in the partition table, so something else might be affecting it.

What kind of PC? Any hidden partitions, etc.

Pete

3. nexstar

Hi Pete,

No, it was pretty much a squeaky clean system. New hard drive, two partitions, fresh install of XP. I'd put AVG free on there but disabled it for the FDR install so it should have been plain sailing really.

Graham

4. Peter2150

I agree. What kind of machine?

5. nexstar

It's a home-built setup but using good components.

I had an image which I'd made soon after XP was installed so I restored that and then tried FDR before any other apps were installed. This time, the FDR app showed the Pre-Boot as being enabled which made me think it must be a software conflict with something installed later. I then carried out the first copy and, by the time that had finished, the green tick saying the Pre-Boot was ok had turned into a not-ok :( .

I looked at the log and it showed '0084 Pre-Boot ok' but no other entry to say that it now wasn't. On re-booting I was back to the black screen and cursor scenario.

Very odd, and a bit of a shame really as I think that the cut-down FDR is probably about right for the intended user.

Graham

6. Peter2150

Really weird. Hopefully HDS will be able to get you help.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Don't stop now!
    I downloaded the same software on 3-9-08.
    Had already done a recovery to fix the MBR.
    Originally I got a pop up that the Windows Installer was either busted or gone-I don't remember which.
    I found a utility that repaired it.
    Was then able to install FDISR-Rescue.
    Turned off Windows Firewall, Antivir Personal Premium and Threatfire first.
    Received the following errors:
    Pre-boot disabled.
    Error Pre-boot check.
    No files copied or deleted. Error 2:45 seconds.
    Unable to copy to the Rescue area.

I have 2 partitions.
    C & E.
    I see no evidence of FDISR-Rescue in programs files in either of the partitions.
    It is however on my Desktop and opens when I double click it.
    And it's there in the ADD/Remove programs.

I sent Horizon a trougble ticket last night. They never acknowledged it.
    I sent another one just now. I did this because they may never see the first one. Rescue is not listed in the products they support.
    Today's ticket indicated that I had a different product.
    Though they don't charge much for Rescue, it would be nice if they at least listed it on their drop down box in the 'make trouble ticket' area.
    I'll happily take any help.
    Regards.
    Hugger

8. nexstar

I don't normally give up on these things, viewing them more of a challenge :eek: . Unfortunately, in this case, life was too short to wait for the response to come back from HDS (still waiting) and so had I to go another route. It's not my PC and I won't have easy access to it as and when (if) a solution is forthcoming.

In my case, I was able to create the copy ok from within Windows but, of course, without the pre-boot being enabled it wasn't a lot of use to me.

Graham

9. Peter2150

I hope Todd is reading this. This doesn't say a lot about the folks in how's hands they've left FDISR.

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I removed it last night.
    I didn't expect the same quick service that I might have gotten if I were a corporate client but neither did I expect to have to wait a few days for an answer that still hasn't come.
    I understand that Horizon needs to concentrate on their main source of revenue.
    However this is pathetic.
    I've received better service from distributors of freeware.
    I now need to figure out which of the many snapshot/restore programs will work the best with Shadowprotect.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hugger

11. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Mr

Hugger,

Hopefully you will still be able eventually to use Rescue.
    Otherwise the only real ISR alternative is Rollback from the same company-or EazFix,the same as Rollback ,but different company,so maybe whilst awaiting a reply try Eazfix HERE.
    Cant believe you wont eventually receive a reply-if Rescue really cant work for you,ask them to change the licence to Rollback.

12. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Hairy,
    Thanks.
    At this time I'm not too sure I would want to spend any money with Horizon.
    We'll see.
    Hugger

13. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I've been doing some checking and found a couple of interesting things.
    In so far as my problem goes, it might be a corrupt system that would be most easily fixed by a clean install.
    Horizon seems to be currently going through some changes in their support system which would be why we've not received any replies from them.
    The good news is that FDISR Rescue is still a viable product and should in the near future receive better support for those of us with problems.
    All in all, this makes the Hugger a happier little old man.
    Hugger

14. Peter2150

Great. I don't see why Rescue shouldn't be viable. I used FDISR that way for several years, before they had archives. Never did use more than one snapshot.

Pete

15. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

maybe u can check the bios for any active "antivirus" option enable there or other kind of protection....maybe something like that block disk axx write...

cheers:cautious:

16. Peter2150

Hey Gang. One thing I've run across is your disk configuration. If you have two drives/partitions, c: should be healthy(system) and d: healthy. This weekend I split a raid array to find which drive was heading south. In swapping, doing clean installs etc I ended up with this: C: healthy(boot) d: healthy(system) (You can find this under disk management)

Although my system booted fine and runs fine, and although FDISR reports preboot as active it isn't. Couldn't swap snapshots either.

Might want to check this.

Pete

PS. I confirmed that it was indeed my problem.

17. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings nexstar,

You have an interesting issue that I would like to find a solution. If you still have it available to you, I would like to get the logs from it. Can you PM me and I can get you the details.

btw: Peter2150, good chatting with you today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.