FirstDefense-ISR Rescue

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by squid13, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

After copying and updating the original from the backup copy I had this in my log. Copied 3.55 GB (5047 files, 226 dirs): Deleted 4.49 GB (11,554 files, 2600 dirs): errors 743 11 min. What is errors 743?

2. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I think that means you had a total of 743 errors while copying. Are you running under Vista? I was having tons of errors too.

3. squid13

Yes I'm using Vista Home Premium 64 bit and your answer sounds right. What I did today was boot back into my backup image and then copied and up dated my original again and it came thru with no errors, so that should mean i got a perfect match. The reason I say your answer is right is because I got about 3 GB of changes and it should of been minimal. Thank you for your response.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    I used this program for more than a year, and noticed that when changes are really important in terms of size (more than 1 GB) the copy/update always ended up with errors. I've also noticed that by redoing straight away the copy/update operation, the errors would disappear. I found the program ingenious, but not robust at all, it is also prone to conflicts, and from an ISR program one would expect a bit more sturdiness. I also only used it with Vista, so maybe with XP things might be different.

5. squid13

I have it in my XP machine and it has never failed me. In this new vista machine, i put it in and it failed twice with large errors. I tried to put Sp2 in the vista machine and it crashed the machine real bad. Tried to copy/paste from the backup to the original and it failed, so I was stuck with a dead machine. I had a image on a external hard drive, so I booted from the Acronis rescue disk and was going to use it but for some unknown reason it gave my external hard drive a different drive letter than the one it had. So I wound up going back to factory install using rescue disks. Life sure is interesting.

6. cthorpe

I'm in the same situation. ISR failed. True Image failed. Reloaded factory image and starting over. ISR was amazing under XP, and I'll continue to use it on my laptop. As for Vista, I can't justify using it when I can't trust it.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is now well known that FirstDefense PC Rescue as well as the original FirstDefense ISR (officially discontinued) have been somewhat neglected in terms of updating them to work with Vista versions. I had even a maintenance program with Horizon DataSys (about 6$ a year) for FD PC Rescue, which I have instantly cancelled when I read on their forum that they were clearly not interested in developing FD PC Rescue anymore.

I really think it isn't fair the blame Vista for the lack of interest from developers and distributors to update applications that have nothing to do with the MS management.

As for my license of FD PC Rescue, I've just purchased an EeePC which comes with XP Home, I might try to use it with it, although I have the feeling I wasted my money.

8. cthorpe

Sorry. I meant that I can't trust ISR under Vista, so I won't be using ISR on my main computer. My laptop has XP, so I will continue using ISR there. My main PC runs Vista. Since ISR doesn't work reliably under Vista, I'm moving to something else. Currently, I am trialing ShadowProtect Desktop. While reloading an image is slower than switching to a different ISR snapshot, creating incremental images is much faster than ISR. So far it's working out.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is exactly what I've been doing lately: I keep my Vista laptop fairly light, my personal files are frequently updated on different USB flash drives, and use ShadowProtect to create different images with different software (for example I have 2 images with Vista x32 and 2 images with Vista x64). Within 10 minutes I can switch from x32 to x64. The only difference is that I have to reboot with a CD, but the whole operation (I've done at least 30 restore so far) is so reliable that I look at it as a simple routine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.