FirstDefense-ISR alternative

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mantra, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i read a lot of goods about FirstDefense-ISR , but it seems that is dead , i can't buy it ,right?

is there a good alternative of FirstDefense ? i mean a similar program with the same features?

can firstdefense fix/repair MFT data?

i need a program like firstdefense
    thanks

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

There is no software like the original FDISR (that is made no more).
    There are a cripled version that Horizondatasys sells. I say crippled for people like me who demand flexibility. It may suite the "average" user though.
    The only software that reminds of FDISR are Rollback Rx and EAZ-FIX. Their main advantage is the huge speed difference in making snapshots, they require less disk space and I believe they are a bit more safer against certain malware.

As far as I know a FDISR snapshot should fix problems with MFT in another snapshot since it is a point in time snapshot/copy of your Windows installation.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks i thought DEEP FREEZE could be a similar program

4. sukarof

I dont think so. The only similarity I can think of is the freeze function in FDISR. (remember I am talking about the original FDISR)
    In FDISR you can have several different configurations of Windows, you can have up to 10 different snapshots with different Windows OS in them. DF just freezes your current windows installation.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wouldn't assume FDISR can repair an MFT. It in fact uses some records in the MFT to assist in it's magic.

Probably the closest program is Rollback/Eazfix.

Pete

6. sukarof

Thanks for that info Peter. :thumb:
    I didnt know that. I thought the snapshots where more or less independent (until the anchoring feature was used)

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I found this out, when I was putting files in the c:\ root directory. Apparently that was filling a record in the mft that FDISR uses, and once that record was full it couldn't swap over. It was considered a bug and fixed, but clearly indicated FDISR uses something in the MFT to do the snapshot swap.

Pete

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Probably the program that comes closer to FD-ISR's approach is Roxio's BackOnTrack Suite. It uses a similar technology of hiding/unhiding folders.
    The major difference between the two is that FD-ISR uses complete snapshots(the complete OS with all files) and BackOnTrack differencial/incremental snaphots(only the registry and the modified files).
    FD-ISR Rescue supports only 2 snapshots.
    BackOnTrack supports multiple snapshots.

But as the others already said the best alternative is Rollback RX.( version 8.1 is immune to mft corruption).

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks to all
    how many hd space need fd-isr to make a snaphot? how many mb or gb?

but is there a program that can fix mft similar to fd-isr

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks the roxio seems a bloat-ware ,isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.