First Use of Product

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jacnyr, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacnyr

jacnyr Registered Member

I first used True Image and made a successful Image of hard drive. This was created on newly formatted hard drive. I then created a secure zone on the same hard drive.
    It appears to me that I now have created image of 38+Gb with 7+ for later use, and the secure zone which contains image as virtual drive that I can load and view.
    Did I miss up by creating image first, then the secure zone?
    I have 2- 80Gb hard drives. I would like to use half of the one just for True Image and be able to use the other half more more space has I need it in addition of the primary one.
    As it seems now the one for true images is full, one of image and the secure zone. Can one of these be deleted?

Thank you,

jacnyr

2. BARON

BARON Registered Member

Personally, I'd delete the first image you created and create all future backups in the Secure Zone. The benefits of the Secure Zone are too create not to use it. (Hidden partition so Windoze and other apps can't corupt your backups; The F11 preboot option to save your neck on an emergency restore.) But, you must make sure that Secure Zone is activated in order to use it.

I have enough space so I run a complete full system backup every night and I also run a full backup of a partition that has my business data on it M-F. I've allowed enough space in Secure Zone to always accomodate 2 full backups of each partition. Schedule it & forget it and you always have yesterdays full system to fall back on.

But, some people prefer to make a full backup and then incrementals. You have to decide what works for your needs.

Jim

*puppy*

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The Startup Recovery Manager (F11 boot into rescue mode option) only works in conjunction with a Secure Zone. However, you can create a SZ without activating the SRM although, in this case, you will need to boot from the Acronis boot rescue CD in order restore the main system (boot) partition.

Regards

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Since you have two hard drives, I wouldn't use the Secure Zone at all. It's really only important for people with only one drive.

1. I'd delete the Secure Zone.

2. I'd delete the image you have made.

3. I'd make a new image of the first drive to the second hard drive and make sure you check the box next to the name of the first drive so that all partitions on the first drive are included in the image. You might want to save the image in a folder called Backups or something more original on the second drive.

4. After you have made the image, use the Check image to confirm that it is good.

If you plan to copy the backup files to CD or DVD disks, be sure to choose the option to split the file when you make the backup. If you will be using DVD disks just type in 2000MB for the split size, or to fit more than one DVD more efficiently, 1490MB.

5. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

Doesn't the secure zone "safeguard", (as BARON said, " The benefits of the Secure Zone are too create {great?} not to use it. (Hidden partition so Windoze and other apps can't corupt your backups;")), equally apply to a 2nd drive?

6. jmk94903

There are also disadvantages of the Secure Zone. For example, you can't copy a backup from the Secure Zone to any other location. You can only manage the contents of the Secure Zone from within TrueImage. When the Secure Zone is full, TI overwrites the oldest backup, and it is lost.

I prefer to have access to my images and to manage them myself, so I don't use the Secure Zone.

7. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

Also the SZ is part of the same physical drive where your system resides, so in the event of HW disaster your redundancy just went the way of the dodo. I created a folder in my 2nd physical drive and named it Backups (how original) and there is where all my images safely reside. I suggest you do the same.

8. jmk94903

I agree with you and even name the folder on my second drive Backup, not nearly as original as Backups. :)

However, just to be complete, it is possible to create the Secure Zone on the second hard drive or even on an external hard drive. I just don't think that doing so makes much sense considering the pros and cons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.