First time using a back up program..problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ramblinrose, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramblinrose

ramblinrose Registered Member

Hello...I emailed support few days now and still have problems. I thought I could try here maybe get faster responses. I looked for old threads and I found one similar to my problem. I will attach it here. I hope I remember how to do it.

Acronis True Image 11 won't install on my pc something about being interrupted. I am confused. I never had problems installing programs before. I tried their suggestions (support) and it's not working. I sent them a install log (their instructions) yesterday and haven't heard from them yet.

If I can't get acronis install, I want my money back. It shouldn't be hard to install but I don't understand what's the problem?

Someone installed old version 8.0.912 from june 07 on my pc. He made a bootable rescue media on cd. I decided to take it off after few months...long story...I never made backups though ( don't know how) I had a heck of time to remove it because of schedul2.exe but I managed to find a way to get rid of it. I am not sure if that was the problem?

Now I decided to give it another try this time since I've heard so much about acronis being a wonderful program.

I don't know what infor you need to know about my pc and please let me know. I will keep watching for this thread...hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks! Rose :'(

Attached Files:

2. Thamuz

Thamuz Registered Member

I have seen this before and it was due to a permisions issue.

What Operating System are you running?

Logging on as the local administrator fixed this issue

-Thamuz

3. ramblinrose

I am a computer adminstrator (only user besides my hubby). I was told not to use an adminstrator account. A techie set it up for me. I am not computer smart but learning.

I have windows xp home edition. I need you to explain how to log on as a local adminstrator? You mean to use log off (switch user) not turn off? I looked in there and saw that I am the only one user. Rose

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  4. ramblinrose

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188204

Acronis TI 11 still won't install on my pc. I was wondering if invgrp2 and rhovdan were able to install??

I've contacted support and will be waiting to hear from them as I just send them my second install log again. :'(

I am getting tired of this....Rose

5. ramblinrose

Why won't acronis give me my money back? It still won't install....:mad: Rose

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Rose:

If you are running a normal user account on XP Home then you need to do this to install software that requires administrative privileges:

1. Right-click on the program that you want to install.
    2. Choose "Run as..." from the menu.
    3. Choose "The following user:" and enter the User Name and Password of an account on the PC that has administrative privileges.
    4. Proceed with the installation.

7. ramblinrose

Hi Mark that's one thing I haven't tried....so I came back to ask you first. I right clicked on *RUN AS* it showed me as user and also there was a checkmarked that says *protect my computer and data form unauthorized program activity*.

I am only a computer adminstrator. There is no other admin account when I used to switch user. I know I have unlimited access to my pc.

Should I unticked that says *protect my computer*? I never used password btw..Thanks! Rose

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Rose:

No, don't untick "Protect my computer". I thought in a previous post you had said that you were not using an administrator account:
    I interpreted this to mean that you were a normal user without admin privileges. Most of the time when Windows XP is installed it sets up an account for the Administrator and one for the user. If your user account is a non-adminstrator account then you would, in my prior post, enter "Administrator" for the user name and then enter the Administrator password.

If your account already has administrator privileges then I'm incorrect and apologize. Check by going to the control panel and under "User Accounts" click on your user name and choose "Change my Account Type". You will see either "Computer Administrator" or "Limited" displayed.

9. ramblinrose

Ok I found out that I am a computer administrator not limited....I checked.

So now what else I have to do? o_O Rose

10. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Rose:

From a quick search of this forum it seems that the problem you are having is caused by an incomplete uninstall of a previous version of True Image. Since you said you used to have TI version 8 installed, then I suspect that's your problem.

This post sounds exactly like your problem. Perhaps one of the recommended solutions will work for you.

11. ramblinrose

Thank you Mark...I will give it a try and let you know later on...hugs, Rose

12. ramblinrose

o_O Ok I don't know where is *Local Security Policy*?

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy

I don't see anywhere that says Local Security Policy

I don't want to click on anything I don't know what I am doing. It says from Local Security applet, you select
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment
    scroll down to *Impersonate a client after authentication* on the right hand pane
    double-click on it
    add a group or user (select yourself from the accounts on the machine)

Yes I used to have version 8 installed but I removed everything including scheduler (schedul2.exe) I had to go in registry to delete schedul2.exe by using permissions when it gave me an error while deleting key. It worked that way...it was gone. BUT still it shouldn't matter. What if I had never installed acronis before?

I registered my acronis product online.

Please advise...hugs, Rose

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  13. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That's where it is on XP Pro; maybe XP Home doesn't have this tool. In any event, I don't think that you need to change User rights if your account already has admin privileges.

Keep trying some of the other suggestions for manually uninstalling TI8. The ones that are most likely to work are:

• Stopping the TI services
    • Removing all folders related to Acronis
    • Removing registry entries related to Acronis
    • Deleting all temp files
    Perhaps someone else on here can chime in with other suggestions.

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think as has been mentioned, the TI installer is probably confused by old entries that have ended up in a normally hidden Windows temporary folder.

Not sure if XP Home allows access to this, but we can try.

First, you need to have Windows Explorer set up to show all hidden files + system files. Then all you need to do is start Explorer and find C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_LOG_ON_NAME\Local Settings\Temp, and delete all the files in here. Some may complain they are in use, so you'll have to ignore those.

Once the files here are deleted (apart from those that refuse), try installing TI 11 again.

If you need to know how to change your viewing settings from within Explorer, just shout!

Colin

15. ramblinrose

Hi Mark and Colin thank you for helping me. I'd appreciated it.

First thing I did was clean up my pc... complete maintence like disk cleanup....error checking (ticked 2 boxes) and defragment.

Secondly, I unchecked hidden files and folders in folder options.

I have ATF cleaner (which I used every nite before bed). I manually checked for any leftovers. I carefully went into registry (don't like it) and looked for acronis. I don't see anything since I had already done it before in june when I uninstalled acronis 8. I used add/remove programs first...I used search for files and folders to delete then registry last thing.

I don't see any old entries. I rebooted my pc and use Run...type in %temp%. It was empty. Then I tried to installing acronis 11.

Stubborn thing won't install! :mad: Sighs.............do you think acronis will give me my money backo_O I hope so....Rose BTW today I received an email from acronis support asking me to install old version of 8 but I don't have it anymore so now waiting to hear from them again.

16. ramblinrose

No word from acronis support yet....:'( Rose

17. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

When you went into registry - did you use the search function under the edit menu?

Also, if you have a firewall program installed or any Symantec/Nortons programs such as WinFax or spam catchers etc, these might be interfering with the install process - might even be worth looking at InCD or equivalent if they are installed and running in the background.

Obviously if you decide to switch the firewall off temporarily, ensure that the system is disconnected from the internet if you have a broadband connection.
    Problem there is I've noticed that the latest build of TI 11 wants a connection to install - well it did over the earlier build.

Colin

18. ramblinrose

Hello Colin...yes I used search under edit menu it's easier for me that way...that's how I found schedul2.exe then I get an error while deleting key so I looked in permissions click on advanced put a check in 'Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects....' something like that then I tried to delete that key again and it worked.

I have avast anti-virus, sygate firewall, AVG anti-spyware plus, and winpatrol are running in the background.

I disabled them all.. disconnect from internet (DSL) before and couldn't install that way.

Rose :mad:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  19. ramblinrose

I want to apologize for my gripes...I was very frustrated is all. I received an email from arconis support asking me if I want to try or refund today. Of course I want my refund.

I am sorry I just can't get it to install on my pc...I have tried everything including acronis support's instructions.

I want to thank Mark and Colin for helping me...I'd appreciated it very much....warmly, Rose

20. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

No probs :)

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.