First time user

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NoGuru, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

I just downloaded Acronis True Image v. 8 - first time user. One problem and two questions:

Problem - I was unable to create the boot CD-R

Questions -

1. Before using True Image, am I supposed to uncheck all the applications in my msconfig / Startup list except True Image (if it's there--I haven't looked yet)?

2. I make the Image on the hard drive, and then copy it to a CD, right? I didn't find this in the manual, but I read that a couple years ago on a Roxio list.

Thanks.

2. dp

dp Registered Member

No, you need not stop any of your running applications
    It's recommended that you store your image on a different partition than the one you are imaging. Then you can burn it off to CD and also keep a copy on your extra partition.
    If you only have 1 partition and have enough space on the partition to temporaily store the image, then you can create it but you'll need burn it off to CD. If you don't you will not be able to restore from it.

3. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

Thanks very much. I'm pretty nervous. My last few attempts to back up on spanned discs with my upgraded Roxio have conditioned me to failure.

My fingers are crossed. : )

4. dp

dp Registered Member

Just make sure you select a size that will fit on your CDs. I split my images up in 650MB chunks and use Nero to burn them off to CD. If you are using DVD disks to store your images, I don't know how much data 1 DVD will hold.

5. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

I still haven't tried it. I'm trying to find out how to create a "partition" since that seems to be necessary. The help manual is no help at all, unless there's a more detailed one that I'm not aware of. I printed out p. 13 of Chapter 3 - General Program Information that has "Disk and partition information" but it doesn't even come close to telling me how to do it. Maybe that's not the right section

I have a 28 GB hard drive with 19 GB free. I'm using Windows 98SE. Can someone direct me to the right place to find out how to do this? Thanks.

6. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Try looking here.

7. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

Good grief! I use Google all day long, and it never entered my head to use it for this!!! I thought this was strictly an Acronis thing, or at least a "drive image" thing. Thanks.

8. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

I have a single 28 GB hard drive C:\\ of which 19 GB is free.

Following a message here about "latest build," I have now downloaded and installed the latest build. I was then also able to burn a bootable disc.

1. How can I test this bootable disc?

I still don't know the answer to these basic questions:

1. CAN I use TI 8 to burn the image directly onto the CD?

2. IF NOT, then can I use TI 8 to create the image anyplace on my C:\\ disk?

3. IF I MUST first partition my C:\\ disk before using TI v. 8, then where can I find *simple* step-by-step instructions for accomplishing this?

I'm starting out fresh this morning, with higher hopes than yesterday.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NoGuru --

The answer to your questions is positive. You can both create an image on CDs and on your HDD.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.