First Time User.. Question on backing up my PC

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xais, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xais

xais Registered Member

I'm using version 10 of True Image. It's an amazing program. But I've got a newbie-ish question.

I own an Acer Desktop. When I attempted to backup my C: Drive, I was asked to pick the drive(s) I wanted to perform a backup on. I was puzzled to find that there is an additional 'drive' called "PQSERVICE" on my PC. It's flagged as PRI, and takes up about 2 Gbs.

Well after searching the web a bit, I understand that it is a hidden partition, and it stores Windows installation info. Some postings on the web have advised that the Windows wouldn't start without it. In other words, I shouldn't delete it.

Could you tell me if I should backup PQSERVICE partition as well when I perform a full C: Drive backup? Would it serve any purpose? What's the best way to handle this partition, now that I have True Image installed?

If I do not back up this partition, what if I do a recovery? Would I destroy PQSERVICE?

Thanks.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Should you ever need to replace the drive due to either a mal-function or to replace with a larger drive, you will need to use an backup image which has both partitions on it. You definitely should do your first backup by placing a tickmark to the left of the full disk option--as illustrated below. Save this backup. Never delete it unless you replace it with a newer full backup of your entire disk.

Subsequent backups can be made only of the system drive. Likewise, you can perform restores of only the system drive when there is a need.

Again, if you need to replace the drive, you would restore using the first non-current backup of the entire disk; then you would restore only the system partition using your most recent backup.

This is one approach and there are others. Restoring the system partition only would have no effect on your pqservice partition.
    I am not specifically familiar with your particular pqservice so my comments are generally speaking as to the need for retention.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182030

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.